'53 Hornet Project uncovered

Ol racer
Ol racer Senior Contributor
edited June 2011 in Street Rods
FYI
While driving down a North Carolina blactop this past wknd enroute to Grandaughter's Graduation thru a Construction Zone I seen a '53 Hudson stepdown coupe in the distance setting outside of a garage without a front end or doors so I had to inquire. I learned that two NASCAR Shop employees were building this car for an unnamed prestigious person. Its from Arizona, a rust free car getting Chevy drive train and a roll cage. It will duplicate the 'Doc Hudson' real Race Car appearance inside. They were working on it everytime I drove by over the wknd (day & nite) so I stopped a couple of times. They narrowed 'Inboard' the 'original Hudson rear frame rails' to install wide NASCAR Wheels on a Ford 9" locker... Real professional appearing like Factory built 'Tub's').... Few picture's will follow soon...
Contact # 704 287 5936

Parts for Sale (Rust Free Az Car)
Whole front Clip...They removed the clip perfectly at the 'Factory mounts' so it can be easily be re-attaced
Complete Trunk Floor Pan
Complete floor Panel behind the rear seat
Floor Boards (2)
Complete (Spicer) rear End

Parts NEEDED./.. Front Bumper Any Condition and Side Trim pcs (Maybe someone near can help with missing pcs)....

Comments

• lsfirth
    lsfirth Expert Adviser
    That would be great to see some pics of the rear end modifications since I'll be doing something like that in the hopefully not too distant future on mine. Cool story!!! I got a feeling that this one will show up in the headlines somewhere!!

Lee
  • Ol racer
    edited June 2011
    FYI
    What impressed me was taking the time to detach the front clip so it can be re-utilized by someone. They also removed most of the floor panels and rear end in the same manner. They were unaware of the HET Club and will pass the contact Info to the owner. The 'anymonous owner' is a senior too and has knowledge about Hornet's Racing legacy and was present during part of Car's Movie filming. However, he was probably unaware some guys are rebuilding Hornet motors with modern technology today.

(We forgot our Disc camera so I bought a toss away Kodack and getting film developed)
  • essexcoupe3131
    essexcoupe3131 Senior Contributor
    cool story keep rolling out the chapters and pictures
    Mike
  • Ol racer
    edited June 2011
    FYI

Attached are a few pictures of the '53 Hornet Project.....
    -Rear shocks are staggered forward & back of Axle....
    -It has a Fuel cell turned lengthwise because of narrow width
    -New firewall
    Since pictures were taken they added tubing from cage back to rear bumper along side of Fuel Cell...

They need a Front Bumper

They have the gas tank (that would need cleaned but rust free). They have a lot of other misc pieces in a shed.. They wanted all stuff removed saved. Pictures dont do Project justice.They have a lot of labor in drilling out all the original spot welds in floor pans & wheel wells, etc....
    Call 704 287 5736 if Interest.
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    What a neat build. The rollbar nearly disappears in the B pillar. No help on a
    front bumper but I might take that Dana axle off there hands.
This discussion has been closed.