Looking for Differential Gears

hudsonguy
hudsonguy Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I've got a '49 Super Six with the Hudson rear axle, and the stock 4.10:1 ratio gear set. Since I've just got a three speed w/o overdrive, I'd like to investigate lowering my rear axle ratio to a 3.54:1, or something like that. Has anyone had experiences with this change? Any recommendations where I can get a spare pumpkin? I'd prefer to get the entire carrier, so I don't have to tear one down, and I'll still be able to switch back and forth between the two.

Any help is appreciated.

Doug

Comments

• Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    You want to find a "pumpkin" with the 3.58 gears used in '51 on Hudsons with Hydramatic. The way my Hornet runs with these gears, I find it incomprehensible that Hudson didn't use this ratio as standard in the stick shift Hornets.
  • Howdy- I'm new to Hudsons, but I did a similar change to a '52 Stude V8 w/OD. Went from a 4:55 to a 3:54, and what a difference in driving, especially on the freeway! I found a rear end out of an AT car, cleaned, resealed, and painted , then swapped the entire unit.
    Good luck!
  • With a 3.54 rear end and overdrive, your effective ratio would be 2.49 with overdrive engaged. This may be about the limit of the clutch loading. Just a thought. However, if you have lots of flat freeway driving, it would certainly cut the r.p.m. down and quieten things down. I have a 4.10 ratio in my Jet with overdrive, and the standard clutch wasn't up to the strain, I had to fit the heavier plate.
    Geoff.
  • Geoff ... "w/o" = without
  • Oops, humble apologies!!! The only worries would be real steep hills with a 3.54 ratio, so I suppose it depends on the terrain you are covering.
    Geoff.
  • Doug,

I completed a differential conversion on my 1950 Commodore 6 earlier this year, and was fortunate to find a 3.58 "pumpkin" out of a '51 automatic. I had spread the word that I was looking for a taller gear-set here on this board, and had also used the "Parts Wanted" section of the CBC and Dogwood Chapter (I belong to both) newsletters. Eventually I found one in North Carolina. There's nothing like being a member of H-E-T and local chapters for finding the parts you're looking for!

Since I was replacing a 4.55 gear-set, the difference was substantial. I can tell you the improvement has been fantastic. My 262 handles the taller gear set just fine, in overdrive or out. The car moves out smoothly from a stop, with no dramatic "feathering" or "dragging" of the clutch. And I live in an area that is primarily made up of rolling hills. On the open road at cruising speed it's a delight to drive. Gas mileage is up, noise is down.

I found the swap to be fairly simple, but very messy. The EP gear-lube clings to everything and does not have the most appealing aroma. While you have the axle-shafts pulled, you might as well replace the inner & outer seals and any wheel bearings that looked fatigued. And if it hasn't already been done on your axle, replace the pipe-plugs with grease fittings to make sure you can always keep those wheel bearings happy. Oh yes, one other thing, put a new pinion seal in that 3.58 "hog's head" (pumpkin). Good luck!

Bob Ridle
This discussion has been closed.