308 into 38 Terraplane???

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I have a '38 Terraplane mdl 81 brougham which I've had for over 30 years. Finally getting around to doing something with it. I don't exactly want to street rod it, but the old 212 has a knock and I was thinking of exploring the possibility of putting a 308/Twin-H motor in it.

Anyone out there have some advice for this, or want to tell me how stupid this idea is??? Appreciate any thoughts. Brent

Comments

• StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    Let me just ask if you own any sort of measuring device longer than a one foot ruler. That is to say there isn't enough length in the Terraplane engine compartment.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    edited July 2011
    Anything is possible - it just depends on ambition and stubborness. I know of at lest one case where a 308 was put into a 34 Terraplane - only thing it couldn't do was stop, the owner said!!!

From my own experience of shoving 1953 Dodge 241 small block hemi engines into earlier 1938-1940 Dodge coupes I would, if you decided to tackle this project, strongly recommend disk brakes, at least in front. I know if I was crazy enough to do it over again I would DEFINITELY go the disk brake route. We must have been out of our minds back in the wild and wooly growing up days of the early 1950's.

But it was a hoot :woohoo: - even if the state and local cops didn't think so.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    I have a '38 Terraplane mdl 81 brougham which I've had for over 30 years. Finally getting around to doing something with it. I don't exactly want to street rod it, but the old 212 has a knock and I was thinking of exploring the possibility of putting a 308/Twin-H motor in it.

Anyone out there have some advice for this, or want to tell me how stupid this idea is??? Appreciate any thoughts. Brent

Well I think it's a good idea! Wouldn't be a bad idea to get the 212 running right either. I think anything that gets the car back on the road is a good idea.

As far as the 308 going into the engine compartment goes. I don't know what you would have to alter to get it to fit. Something, for sure. But you could do it, no doubt about it.:)
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    '38 T - Contact Wayne Funk, 14834 30 Mile Rd., Washington MI 48093-2108 PHONR: (586) 752-5341. He has a '36 Terraplane Sedan that he installed a 308 Twin H in some time ago, and it looks like it came from the factory that way. I'm sure he could give you the ins and outs of the idea.

Jerry
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    Let me just ask if you own any sort of measuring device longer than a one foot ruler. That is to say there isn't enough length in the Terraplane engine compartment.

Oh dear that's hardly helpful, giving up before you start! Of course everything has been done before, even putting a Hudson Eight engine into a mid-30's Terraplane without much major hassle (without touching the centre crossmember for example - ask Park Ward).

Interesting topic, would like to hear what Wayne Funk has done and even to see an image of his engine bay here would be great.

It would be interesting to know the weight of the 308 v. the 212, it may be that there isn't a lot of difference as the 308 is a fair bit lighter than the eight from what I can work out. The next question is what transmission to use?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Rear engine mounts are the same, as are the clucth throw-out mechanism. Your major hassle would be movin g the radiator forward. You would have to fit a thicker radiator or you will have major cooling problems, andyou will have to fit at least one extra leaf i n the front springs, as the 308 is much heavier and at least 7 inches longer.
  • terraplane8
    Rear engine mounts are the same, as are the clucth throw-out mechanism. Your major hassle would be movin g the radiator forward. You would have to fit a thicker radiator or you will have major cooling problems, andyou will have to fit at least one extra leaf i n the front springs, as the 308 is much heavier and at least 7 inches longer.

Quickly comparing various models in Butler's book, the 308 engine looks to be around 135lbs heavier than the 212. Given that my '36 Terraplane at least has a rearward weight bias, the heavier engine hopefully will not upset the handling.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited July 2011
    FYI
    I installed a modified 308 in my '37 Terraplane cpe. I notched the top of the firewall slightly (Black Area) then notched the front crossmember a little for the damper and reinforced the crossmember. I instslled a modern radiator core 'forward' inside the straps and use an electric fan. Later I installed a aluminum crossflow radiator. The motor is coupled to a GM Turbo 350 trans. Regarding Wt, that little 212 was extremly heavy too so I had heavier front main leafs made anyway. I never regretted the installation. The Headers run nicely inside & outside of the frame rail...
  • Thanks much! Any recommendations on a possible transmission? If I had my druthers, I'd like to use a 3-speed w/OD, just like my old '52 had.
  • Marconi
    Marconi Senior Contributor
    If you use a late 52 to 54 O.D. trans, Warner T-86, you can remove the shifter forks and shafts and bolt on a top cover from a Jeep with the T-86 trans. Put welch plugs in the holes for the original shifter shafts and you'll have to lock out the O.D. before you use reverse gear.
  • Marconi
    Marconi Senior Contributor
    Oh, forgot, I don't know what kind of, if any , clearance problems you'll have with frame members, solenoid, governor, etc.
  • essexcoupe3131
    essexcoupe3131 Senior Contributor
    edited July 2011
    Ol racer wrote:
    FYI
    I installed a modified 308 in my '37 Terraplane cpe. I notched the top of the firewall slightly (Black Area) then notched the front crossmember a little for the damper and reinforced the crossmember. I instslled a modern radiator core 'forward' inside the straps and use an electric fan. Later I installed a aluminum crossflow radiator. The motor is coupled to a GM Turbo 350 trans. Regarding Wt, that little 212 was extremly heavy too so I had heavier front main leafs made anyway. I never regretted the installation. The Headers run nicely inside & outside of the frame rail...

Very nice looking ride, love to see alot more pics

Mike
  • terraplane8
    ol racer tell us how well it goes!! The power to weight ratio should be pretty good.
  • Ol racer
    FYI
    The '37 Terraplane runs real well, however its not really built for burn outs, etc with 2.87 gears and a stock stall GM converter, its a Cruiser.
    I have a stepdown Hudson just for Drags that ive been building forever it seems because of one delay after another...
  • Ol racer
    Rick,
    Plan to put in your truck because you have the Mtr, Intake, Carb, & Exhaust. If its a '54 it will be a 262......I never had a '39, but think it may have more engine room. If not, may have to notch a bit to fit
  • Ol racer
    Rick,
    Im not up on engine numbers like some guys, but take a look at the crank (flywheel end)... If its drilled its a likey a 262" because Hudson never drilled 232 cranks for hydro's ...Yes, 262 had 2bbl and some had smaller carb Twin H, however, the Intake may have been switched over time.
This discussion has been closed.