brake linings

essexcoupe3131
essexcoupe3131 Senior Contributor
edited August 2011 in Street Rods
Hi All,
I don't know about you guys up there in the States but down under we are no longer using asbestos based products for brake linings,
I have been looking at doing a major brake up grade on my coupe and had 1 of my
new hot rod club members(1 of them worked in racing brakes supply for years) around checking her out (coupe)
He was indicating if I could find the old sort of linings material the brakes I have would be as good as up grading to Wilwoods
especially since there is so much air movement around the old girl and all the rotors are already vented etc
He said if I could find the right material, he has got someone that could bond it for me and save a bucket load of money
interested in feed back
the rears are disc 9", front are Holden disc (GM)
I can go to some soft shoes but they make a helova lot of mess especially to polished mags etc
thanks
Mike

Comments

• Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    edited September 2011
    Hello Mike

Just got my computor back form evil virus removal and to share some thoughts in reply to your post.

I do not know where you will find asbestos brake lining. We in the States have been denied asbestos in our brake lining for approx. 20 years or more. What a mess we had for a few years trying to satify our customers until the brake manufactures developed brakes that would stop good and last awhile. Those were bad time for brake shops. Some linings would come apart under hard braking. Others were so hard, the brake rotors wore out but not the lining. The manufacturers have come along ways in producing brake linings that perform very well. Perhaps, argueably, even better than the old linings with asbestor of bygone days.

Something that helped me keep most of the brake dust off my polished wheels were, aftermarket dust shields that mount between the brake rotor and the wheel. They can be painted any color you feel would look good behind the polished spokes. I believe there may be some manufactures today that already have them in different colors. I used to sell alot of them when I did brakes on cars with fancy wheel.

The dust shield will not deter the rotors from cooling on a daily driver any more than a car with full hub caps. Of course if your plans are to go road racing, that's another issue.

It's always a pleasure to hear from you and the plans you have for your car.

Hudsonly, Lee
  • essexcoupe3131
    essexcoupe3131 Senior Contributor
    Thanks Lee for your comments
    I will talk to some shops here about the shoes, as i have had comments made here that if I went to fancy after market brakes you have to get them hot to perform well, so this is why I have been looking for alternatives in the pads
    Mike
This discussion has been closed.