Orphaned 1951 Canadian Pacemaker

segajeep
segajeep Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Long story short, I know a guy who knows a guy who lets me get first crack at the stuff that comes in to the local wrecking yard.

While in the middle of picking up the wife's new car(which is on her dime)
Picture291.jpg
I spotted this.
Picture311.jpg
1951.The Car is Canadian built,model 11a. I've been having a time looking up info on it ,as the US and Canadian serial numbering systems differ.
As I mentioned in another post, it has a 318 Poly in it. NOW, having 6 other cars is already a handful, She couldn't go to the crusher,so, for the scrap value of it, She's commin' home with me.

Picture305.jpg
Picture306.jpg
Picture313.jpg
Picture314.jpg
Picture312.jpg
Picture310.jpg
Picture308.jpg

Floors are crunchy,complete mouse and moth eaten interior and a random drive train( misc. transmission, barnyard engineering motor mounts),but it's all there and reasonably solid. first order of business is to hunt down some front wheels so it's not sitting in the dirt. It's gonna be a slow project, probably not gonna be in full swing for a year or two, but I can chip away at her on the side.Pending the sale of one of my Beetles may give this a small financial boost,however

I was never hankering for a Hudson,but being a Jeep man, I respect the Hudson/Nash/Willys/AMC/Jeep bloodline.And there are few enough Hudsons that it's not a belly button tri five Chevy or shoebox Ford.
I'm also looking for pearls of wisdom about the model and the Canadian-ness of the car.

Thanks for your time
-Nolan

Comments

• chopperchuck
    chopperchuck Expert Adviser
    pull the poly out. & put 4.6 LTR stoker in it,if i could have found a good one i would have gone that way..with mine.....your miss's new 1 {944 or 924?}
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    It is interesting that the only reference I have to the Model 11A is on a 1951 factory weight sheet. The interesting part is the Model 11A Pacemaker Six is the only Canadian indicated serial number.

I'd be curious as to whether or not they had other models, or did they send them out of the Canadian factory with numbers like 4A-C-xxxxxx as they did in the 30's (1936-1939 - 1935's began with a C, as C-53-xxxxxxxx. Also, I have no info on the 1940-1947 models and while I haven't really dug into it I suspect Hudson production in Canada was suspended before American production, say around 1940, for war work.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • segajeep
    Copperchuck- 1989 944, n/a 2.7l.

I found that the s/n on 1950s US Hudsons was longer than 4 digits already. Any info on what model 11a entailed?
  • segajeep
    Here are a few more shots for your inwardly digest.

Picture350.jpg

Picture340.jpg

Picture343.jpg

Picture342.jpg

Picture348.jpg

Picture351.jpg
  • chopperchuck
    well at least your interior is more intact than mine,:dry: mines soooo dry rotted after sitting for 52 years in my grandpa shop,:( :(
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    There is actually a Hudson forum here at the Classiccar website, it's at http://classiccar.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=showcat&catid=13&Itemid=129 . You might want to post this there.
  • hudsontech
    edited September 2011
    segajeep wrote:
    Copperchuck- 1989 944, n/a 2.7l.

I found that the s/n on 1950s US Hudsons was longer than 4 digits already. Any info on what model 11a entailed?

http://hetclub.org/burr/other/lit-other.html the only model offered is the Sedan.

Hudson serial numbers in 1951 began at 101 and ran to 132915. It wasn't until 1952 that serial numbers continued; ie 1952 models started at 132916.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • segajeep
    That doesn't explain the 4 digit Serial number. I found another (1952) with a 50xxxx s/n and i recall it saying made in Canada.
  • segajeep

That's a sweet find,my Beetle was my Opa's car so I understand the connection. My Hudson's interior is pretty crispy too,I'd end up with bare frames if I broke out the Hoover. You get a power train for that thing?
  • hudsontech
    segajeep wrote:
    That doesn't explain the 4 digit Serial number. I found another (1952) with a 50xxxx s/n and i recall it saying made in Canada.

1951 serial numbers started at 101 and ran thru 132915, as I pointed out earlier.

Serial numbers 101-4950 were built in Sep 1950; 4951-16357 in Oct. 1950. I can't confirm it, but I would almost think that the Detroit office assigned serial number blocks to the Canadian factory to avoid duplication.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • chopperchuck
    edited September 2011
    segajeep wrote:

That's a sweet find,my Beetle was my Opa's car so I understand the connection. My Hudson's interior is pretty crispy too,I'd end up with bare frames if I broke out the Hoover. You get a power train for that thing?

yea this monster.a leaning tower of power W/a 4 barrel intake & 904 tranny.

• segajeep
    hudsontech wrote:
    segajeep wrote:

1951 serial numbers started at 101 and ran thru 132915, as I pointed out earlier.

Serial numbers 101-4950 were built in Sep 1950; 4951-16357 in Oct. 1950. I can't confirm it, but I would almost think that the Detroit office assigned serial number blocks to the Canadian factory to avoid duplication.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN

This is my tag.
    Picture346.jpg
  • hudsontech
    edited September 2011
    Your tag still says what I posted about serial number blocks. Your car was built in Sept 1950.

I still maintain the main office in Detroit issued serial number blocks to the Canadian factory - in this case the serial number on your car was within that block assigned to Tillbury.

Either that or the Canadian plant simply started at 101, like Detroit, and issued duplicate serial numbers. This is also possible, tho unlikely, since the Model 11A appears to be the only model built in Canada in 1951.
  • segajeep
    DING. The light bulb just came on. I see what you ere explaining now.When you posted the date it all fell into place.
  • hudsontech
    segajeep wrote:
    DING. The light bulb just came on. I see what you ere explaining now.When you posted the date it all fell into place.

Thank you.

I've been messing with this Hudson stuff for 35 plus years, with serial numbers the main point of my focus. I'm still learning and still finding info - some of which negates previous, but most that supports earlier discoveries.

As I say, my conclusion on how serial numbers were assigned to Tillbury, Canada, may be off 180 degrees - but it just seems to me that it would be logical for Detroit to assign a block of numbers, like 1001 to 3999, to the Canadian factory.

But then we all know Hudson didn't do logical things very often. Might have been logical to them at the time, but over the years who knows.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • segajeep
    Some tags off of some cars I came across

Picture348-1.jpg

Picture349-1.jpg
  • hudsontech
    edited September 2011
    Given that 500C545 serial number it appears that they may have started with 101 in the Candian factory.

Now if we could find an American 500 with a low number it would confuse the issue even more. I don't have anything about 1950 Hudson Canadian production.

I admit I'm not sure how they did it now. It just doesn't seem logical that Candian and U S serial numbers would be the same - tho with the letter "C" it is just possible.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
This discussion has been closed.