Rear axle swap

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Has anyone swapped out the rear axle on a Hornet with automatic. If so what is the reccomended replacement axle out of i.e make/year ratio and width for ease of installation

Comments

• Do you want to swap just the pumpkin, or do you want the entire axle assembly? It is my recollection that the axle ratio for the standard shift cars produced higher revs at highway speeds than the axle ratio specified for HydraMatic cars. Of course, an alxe from an overdrive equipped car would be even worse if used with HydraMatic. <font color="orange"> </font> <font color="orange"> </font> <font color="orange"> </font> <font color="orange"> </font>
  • I took a closer look at my Hudson shop manual and found this: Hudson differentials cam in two styles, the regular removable "pumpkin" style and another type with a removable steel cover. If your car has the removable cover, then it probably has the 3.07 ratio which was standard for the Dual Range HydraMatic. Here is a chart of ratios and the cars associated with each.
    Overdrive- standard=4.10 optional=4.55
    Standard Shift- standard=4.10 optional=3.58
    HydraMatic- standard=3.07 optional=3.58

I believe the above is accurate according to my book. Obvously it is best to use the 3.07 axle with HydraMatic to keep highway revs as low as possible. Hope this helps. smile.gif
  • Thanks for the replies. I have the Dana 44 rear axle with the 3.07 ratio and I want to replace it with an axle from a more commonly available vehicle. So I would be replacing the entire axle assemply to one without tapered shafts.So I am trying to find the easiest axle to swap it out for.The heavier more reliable the better.
    Thanks
  • I heard around here someplace that the old Ford Grenada family will fit a stepdown. Maybe some other mid-size rear drive cars will fit. The stepdown is too narrow for an older full size rear drive. Measure it up and check with a hotrodder. They know that stuff by heart.
  • I had heard that the Ford Maverick rear end would work. One problem with using the Ford is that you will have different size lugnuts on the front and rear, not to mention having studs on the rear and original bolts on the front, but I guess that that's what 4 bar lug wrenches were made for.
  • You may also have to cut the spring perches and the sway bar mount off the Hudson rear and weld on the ford assy.
    BK.TN.
  • What is wrong with the original Hudson rear axle design?
  • Well, the Hudson rear ends used tapered inner race bearings that are gettin as scarce as hen's teeth. However, the late 52 thru 54 should have the Dana rear end which used standard straight bore bearings available anywhere. If I had one of those, I'd stick with it.
  • The Dana 44/ Spicer axleused in the late 52 thru 54 Hudsons uses the readily available and cheap 25877 straight bore bearings, its a good trouble free rear end, and it's definitely worth keeping. The 48-mid 52 hudson built axles had those tapered 25877T bearings , the "T" denotes the "tapered". Those are heard to come by cheaply from bearing houses, but they can be had in the club reasonably should one really need them. I dont see any real reason to swap out the Spicer 3.07 for a ford or whatever, then you have to weld up stabilzer bar brackets, experiment with brake drums, shoes, parking brake cables, etc.....all the time, work and expense are not really worth the changeover, in my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.