Pacemaker Update (a small one)!

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I got to have half the day today for some work on my front end tear down. I don't seem to have the smarts to set pics up on this thread, but I have posted them in my gallery (jsrail) with the date 12_11_05 on the pics from today.

I was able to get the right front fender off. Most of the bolts holding the fender to the center grill sheetmetal are so rusted that I have to use a cutting wheel on them. My 4" grinder and Dremel did the job fine without damaging the fender. A couple of the bolt brackets are not even on both pieces of metal! I may have to go with different fenders if I can find ones in better shape. Inner wheel wells on both sides have some surface rust where they bolt to the firewall (dirt collection point) but are otherwise in great shape! However, the rear fenderwells are shot! Too much throwing up road salt I imagine. There are pieces connecting the front sheetmetal (where the grill bars bolt to) to the radiator support which are also shot full of rust and holes. but I'm going down to Al Saffrahn's sometime over the next few weeks to see his stuff, he thinks he has most of the sheetmetal I'm looking for.

A bad spot! Lower frame crossmember behind the driver's front tire. Rusted through one side (about 1" x 2") and on the underside (about 1 1/2" x 3"). It looks fairly easy to fix with some plating welded on though, though thats for my metal fab guy (I'm no welder for sure!).

Bad spot #2.......lower rocker trim piece bracket with 3 screws......so rusted I haven't been able to get them out. May have to grind and drill them out in order to remove the front fender. Major pain!

Well, thats about it for now. Felt good to get out working on it though. Sorry you Northerners, but it was t-shirt weather here during the day! Hope to keep updating as I go along. Trying to get some done before tax season gets here and I'm working 7 days a week (then it will sit :-( until May)!

Now all I gotta due is find someone to take the drivetrain off my hands!

Jay "where's the Doans pills!.....I'm gonna feel like sh*t in the morning!"

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Jay,

Another tool I got was a cordless/reversible 3/8 impact gun and 3 different sized phillips head Snap-on 3/8 sockets (I told the snap-on dealer what I was using them for and he guaranteed them - I only broke one and he replaced it!).

They don't have the power of the air or 110v impacts but that really makes it better for taking out a lot of those rusty screws and bolts.

Oh and warm weather sucks! It's winter and there's supposed to be snow on the ground and such! :)

Oh and warm weather sucks! It's winter and there's supposed to be snow on the ground and such! :)

Yeah, you just keep chanting that, Dan. My guess is that if it was 57 instead of 27, you'd not only like it much better, you'd be out workin' on the car!

Russell
  • Another tool I got was a cordless/reversible 3/8 impact gun and 3 different sized phillips head Snap-on 3/8 sockets

Dan, how many volt power was that unit? And what rpm speed did you use to get the screws out?

Jay
  • rambos_ride
    jsrail wrote:
    Dan, how many volt power was that unit? And what rpm speed did you use to get the screws out?

Jay
    The one I got I didn't spend a lot of money on, got it at Harbor Frieght for 30.00 (sale price 49.95 reg) and its an 18v. This was PERFECT for smaller phillips and bolts as the action doesn't break them off (the 1/2" drives have more power but wouldn't work as well...)

View more Drill Master items
    img]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/90700-90799/90798.gif[/img]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Powerful 1044 inch lbs. of force to help you power-off or power-on bolts and fasteners.
    • 1700 blows per minute
    • Variable speed 200-1400 RPM for controlled starts
    • Rugged metal nose piece
    • Cushioned palm grip
    • Lightweight--only 5.5 lbs!
    [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]Comes with rechargeable Ni-CD battery and charger; nylon security strap; 1/2' impact socket. Tool weight: 5.5 lbs.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]ITEM 90798-0VGA

$49.99

[/font]
  • Thanks very much Dan, guess I'll be making a Harbor Freight run this week!

Jay
  • rambos_ride
    jsrail wrote:
    Thanks very much Dan, guess I'll be making a Harbor Freight run this week!

Jay
    You are welcome! My 49 is completely torn down and with the Shake-n-break for the larger phillips (especially the door hinges) and the 3/8 impact pictured I only had to drill out 5 screws for the ENTIRE car - really!
  • The one I got I didn't spend a lot of money on, got it at Harbor Frieght for 30.00 (sale price 49.95 reg) and its an 18v. This was PERFECT for smaller phillips and bolts as the action doesn't break them off (the 1/2" drives have more power but wouldn't work as well...)

Dan, just picked up one of those at Harbor Freight and it was on sale for $29.99! The only screwdriver ends they had were for a hand-held impact driver, but I bought them anyway. Hope they hold up. I just love that store, they have a lot of good deals usually. I have to let the battery charge up, then I'll go to town! Thanks for the tip!

Jay
This discussion has been closed.