substitute frame for my 31 essex

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in Street Rods
OK, I'm going back and forth between restore and rod. I heard a while back that a certain year and body style cheverolet S-10 pickup frame would fit with little mods. Anyone have any input on this?

Comments

• lsfirth
    lsfirth Expert Adviser
    edited October 2011
    OK, I'm going back and forth between restore and rod. I heard a while back that a certain year and body style cheverolet S-10 pickup frame would fit with little mods. Anyone have any input on this?

Hey Essex S6, Sounds like a fun project!! I had good luck with Fatman Fab when putting a mustang II front end in my '49. Here's the link to that post:
    http://www.classiccar.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=24&id=114985&Itemid=152
    Anyway, I could see spending a lot of time cutting an S10 clip out of a "donor" at the junk yard and end up not having exactly what you want when you're done....ie bags, rack and pinion, ect....just a thought. I don't have mine on the road yet, so I can't comment on drive quality, but went in pretty nicely....a hicup here an there though as you'll see if your read through the full install. Good luck and keep us apprised of the progress. Like aways, post many pics....we all like to see projects come together.

Keep up the work!!

Lee
  • An s10 frame will not work under a 31 Essex coupe . the s10 is to wide. the best way is to use/ strengthen your original if you have one or build a new one from mild steel box tubeing. Sugest you look On the HAMB forum for information.
  • ok,so i have already finished my project several different ways in my head, and here are my thoughts. I'm not building to race or to show(maybe local shows). I like to be different, and i plan to drive it often.how much strength or reinforcement would be recommended if i give a mostly stock V6?
  • lsfirth
    lsfirth Expert Adviser
    edited November 2013
    ok,so i have already finished my project several different ways in my head, and here are my thoughts. I'm not building to race or to show(maybe local shows). I like to be different, and i plan to drive it often.how much strength or reinforcement would be recommended if i give a mostly stock V6?
    A lot depends on what your plans are for the suspension. At a minimum (If you plan on keeping it stock (unlikely)), you might want to box certain areas.

If you're going to put in a MII suspension on the front and put a four or tri-link in the back, you'll want to box the entire frame (which would probably be a good idea anyway). Not all for the engine itself, but should help in reducing the 'flex', improving the overall ride (and making it safer), once the suspension is properly tuned/adjusted.[/quote]

I'm surprised essexcoupe3131 hasn't chimed in.....it would be nice to see some pictures of what he's done to his frame.....
  • I used a Heidts IFS on my '29 Super six. The Frame width fit perfectly, however, when I went for final assembly befor paint, the upper control arm interfeared with the fender. I used an S-10 4WD rear end, fit great. It was very easy to box the frame. Plenty of strength there.
    Dan
    Do a search on this list for 28essexnNQS and there are pix.
This discussion has been closed.