electronic ignition

coverton
coverton Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I am considering building a reluctor wheel for a 308 flat head six.Use of the exisitin distributor shaft and fitting the wheel to the extended rotor slot should be no problem nor should mounting a sensor magnet to "see: the wheel turn. A GM waste-fire three coil module has speed sensor built in to sense and cause spark advance.Have any of you done this ? I think it woill be a cool move if i can pull it off.

Comments

• I don't know of anyone that has gone to the extent you are speaking of. However I do know that several have use a Mopar dist., I don't know which one. Pertronix makes an electronic unit to use in your Hudson Distributor, and it is 6v.
    Bob Hickson
  • coverton
    coverton Expert Adviser
    Bob, I think the simple fix would be a petronix but since I associated with the Community College automotive,autobody and mechanical division a challenge like this really excites the staff.With a cad system we designed-or should i say the instructor designed-the shaft extension and reluctor wheel including the spaced cuts in about 15 minuates.I am sure i can get the machine shop to then cut the wheel on a cnc machine and go from there.Now i have to take a trip to the junk yard and find a "waste-fire" module and coil pack.We first built one of these to show students the difference between a reluctor and a hall effect switch system.When i tore the distributor down from a 262 I found that one spring was broken and both spring slots were completely worn out so I expect most old distributors are about shot to begin with so taking this one apart to see how to do what i plan was no loss to begin with.
    I am a fwe weeks away since I took a real job reacently but will follow with this post and some pictures if it works,carroll Overton goldsboro NC
  • brumac
    brumac Expert Adviser
    Carroll, I am using a Chrysler slant 6 electronic distributor with the Hudson (Autolite) shaft, weights and springs and the Chrysler vacuum advance. I will have to recurve both the mechanical and vacuum advance as they both seem to be too much. My ears aren't that good anymore to hear preignition so I will have to go back to the Hudson advance specs. I am running 12 volts.
    Bruce
  • brumac wrote:
    Carroll, I am using a Chrysler slant 6 electronic distributor with the Hudson (Autolite) shaft, weights and springs and the Chrysler vacuum advance. I will have to recurve both the mechanical and vacuum advance as they both seem to be too much. My ears aren't that good anymore to hear preignition so I will have to go back to the Hudson advance specs. I am running 12 volts.
    Bruce

Me too. The same set-up as above for 5K miles-No issues other than quicker starts!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2011
    Here is the old thread if you are interested in the Mopar conversion:

http://www.classiccar.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=13&id=419&Itemid=152
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited December 2011

FYI
    I use Crane XR700 Point Conversion Kits on a couple of my 12V Hornet motors that works Great inside the Stock Distributor....
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    I've made a points triggered HEI unit with a small scratch built circuit and a old HEI module I had laying around. It's even easier with a Ford module. I can provide links if anyone is interested. Works pretty slick.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    I'm interested, that sounds like somehthing I'd like to try.
    pm me the info-links please or post here.
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    edited December 2011
    Here the links I got my information from:

http://www.gofastforless.com/
    HEI Module w/ points

I had a 5-pin (mid 80's 305 w/ knock sensor and timing retard) module, so it took a little extra circuit figuring for mine. If you have a 5-pin, I can give you my diagram.
  • coverton
    coverton Expert Adviser
    Mr dancy sorry for the delay in responding-trying to half way work and do some creative things at the Auto Dept of the local CC> We sort of figured this out while tteaching GM "Waste Fire" ignition modules and coil packs this fall.Then it dawned on us that if the crank reluctor wheel turns 2X for the cam why not design a wheel ,to fit over the rotor button,throw out the rest of the distributor and cut the notches 2x times the crank sequence ? Anyway we had the cad boys design the size and cuts and make a mock up prototype no a dimensions plastic replication machine.Noe when I can talk my buddy who teaches CNC milling to make the wheel we will see as the blind man said !!! Oh I bought the module and sensor at the local "You Pull IT" Saturday junk yard sale.-all uo can haul off for a few bucks a wheel barrow full !my regular email is coverton4@nc.rr.com and i can do some pictures as I get that far-do need to go 10SI one wire and 12V-I hate 6 anyway batteries are poor for the $ and old wire is always full of corrosion and 12v pushes harder through that
This discussion has been closed.