Essex project

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I recently came across a '27 or '28 Essex 2-door sedan body, chassis, rad shell, and front seat. I have NOT seen the car yet, and it's a few hours away. Guy wants to do some trading for it, and I'm thinking very seriously about trading (like I need another ^&#%$ project, but the price is right!). Here's what I'm looking to do, assuming I get the Essex and there's enough there to work with:

1) In last night's "Pinks" episode on Speed, there was a really cool (and fast!) '27 Ford tudor sedan the guy took and built a street-legal drag car out of basically what I have as a start. His is a 350 Chevy/TH350 tranny, Ford 9", one seat, nitrous, and a cool yellow primer job, three-inch chopped top, red wheels, wide whites, cheater slicks, and just a sprinkling of chrome. I saw that car and thought that would make for a fun and economical toy. The Essex would be done in a similar way.

2) Engine would be a '69 Chrysler 440 I've had for the last year, built and ready for go! Chrysler 727 auto, narrowed Mopar 8-3/4" rear with 4.10 gears, steel wheels with Moon covers, and more fun stuff. Primer grey with flames, of course! A Mopar-powered Essex rod would be the stand-out in a field full of Chevy-powered Ford rods, IMO!!!

3) With what I'd have in parts so far, plus getting the car and finishing, I figure I'll have less than $5K in getting the thing on the road and driving (maybe for the Nats???)

So, that's what's up so far. Should know something on the trade situation before 20 Dec or so. I'm not looking for another car to do, but this one just beckons!

Comments

• Go for it man! Sounds like a great project car.

Jay
  • Good some competition for my Hemi powered 28 coupe. Go for it man, you will love working on the Essex, no wood framework, all steel. Different, in the sea of Fords and Chevys and the best of all Mopar powered. 440 man, nothing sounds like a Mopar big block. Besides it really pisses off the tiquers out there LOL. Post some pics. You probably alreay know but 27 will have a square rad shell and more box like roof. 28 will have a curved rad shell and more rounded lines. In my opionion the 28-31 Essex was the nicest years for them. Attached is a pic of the frame that I am using on my Essex. 9 in ford, 4 bar, lincoln disc brakes. The front has a Fiero independant, but i am changing it to a TCI dropped axle to give a more nostalgic look. Corvette master cylinder, twin gas tanks, and in front is the 700R4 auto that i am adapting to the 354 Hemi. What do you think about leaving it Grey and Black? and putting on wide whites and red wheels, no hood (hemi too big!!) Trying to make up mind on color. I want the 50s nostagia look but I am not too fussy on black primer. I still like to polish and want to retain the chrome sidelamps, bumpers, wind wings and chrome handles. I hope every one is over the restore it thing and has some positive constructive critism on my project. I love the car, I like the fact that you will probably never see another hemi powered Essex at any show!!
  • The car I'm looking at is a '28, so it has the same grille as your car does. The guy is not advertising it at all. I found out about it through a Chevy truck friend who saw it with a couple of '52 Chevy 3100 pickups that he bought off this guy. The seller said the Essex had been in this pole barn for close to 20 years, and he originally intended to build a rod from it, but has put his time and efforts into '50s Chevy pickups instead. My friend gave me this guy's number and I've spoken to him once, so far. Nice older guy who likes older pickups. Going to look at it this weekend (19th) and bringing the trailer and $$$, just in case! Merry Christmas to me (I'm hoping!).
  • Well, I went to look at the car this morning. Not a bad start, but he wants way too much cash for it!!! For what I described in the first post, he wants $3K for it!!! :eek: Needless to say, I passed on this little gem. I told him I'd go a grand, tops, plus there's no title, either. I drove close to 100 miles to look at this, and wasted three hours of my life. With that, I came back home and worked on the Terraplane for a few minutes. Life goes on. Another car will appear, and call my name. Just not this one.
  • Go Mopar!!!!! We have a 65 chrysler that has a 440, this car moves, i could only begin to amagine what that would do !! Go For It!!
  • To Edit Myself, thats a great idea that would be really cool to have a project like that
This discussion has been closed.