Pacemaker Update #2

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Well, another day......another issue!

Finally got the left front fender and the front grill, radiator support and everything else off the front. Had to grind most of the bolts off, but thats not really an issue.

Now the frame! That lower corner of the main crossmember is as I saw before. Hole in the bottom and front side, though I think it can be fixed with some plating. The passenger side is fine. The driver's outer frame rail.......bad from about 1" from the bottom to the bottom along that side, both inside and outside of the lower portion of the rail. Haven't got the passenger side panels off yet, but looks like the same problem from the front to about half way to the rear wheel. Removed the door sill on the driver's side and the top and upper part of the frame rails are VERY solid. I think I'm going to go ahead and remove the rear fenders. It appears the interior pieces have to come out to do this as well as the seat?

AHH, another day in the life! :-) But would it be fun if there wasn't any challenges? lol

Hope everyone is further on their holiday shopping than I am!

Jay

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Did that new tool help out any? Is the rust on the rocker or the frame rails?
  • Dan, its on the lower portion as I described of the frame rail. I think its definately fixable. I think its just a matter of some plating. The upper portion of the inside and outside and the upper portions are great! Not even any surface rust, still original color there.

And yes, the new tool worked great.....it got 2 screws out and broke the rest off, but no worrys there.

Jay
  • rambos_ride
    jsrail wrote:
    Dan, its on the lower portion as I described of the frame rail. I think its definately fixable. I think its just a matter of some plating. The upper portion of the inside and outside and the upper portions are great! Not even any surface rust, still original color there.

And yes, the new tool worked great.....it got 2 screws out and broke the rest off, but no worrys there.

Jay
    And here all along I thought I had the corner on all the Hudson rust-out problems to deal with!

You do have to remove the interior trim panels and probably the lower seat - but you might as well take out the whole rear seat so you don't muck up the seats trying to pull the quarters off or other work on the car - as I recall your seats were in nice condition.

Do you have a Hudson body service manual? Good book to have to see the steps and how to take off body parts and such.

Only 2 screws - that's a little discouraging, of course you are not done yet! :)

Sometimes I apply a little heat if possible and some rust cutter like break free to the screws/bolts - but even that can only be used in certain areas.

Those impact also work pretty nice as nut drivers!
  • The screws are no big deal, they can be replced and should be on this one anyway. No, I don't have a body service manual......where do you get one?

Jay
  • rambos_ride
    jsrail wrote:
    The screws are no big deal, they can be replced and should be on this one anyway. No, I don't have a body service manual......where do you get one?

Jay
    I got mine on ebay. I know the HET store sells them. Be careful on ebay because there is a seller out there listing photocopies for 25.00 - you can get an original for that or less.

Great book to have and includes a few pictures and instructions for adjusting doors, hoods, etc.. how to re-seal the body and quarters, windows, and other cool stuff.

Hudson Body Service Manual
    1948 - 1953
    Hudson Motor Company
    Stock No. T-204
  • Is that the same as the item #378 on page 47 of the last White Triangle News (nov/dec issue)? It says 1948-54 Hudson Body Manual. If so, I'll just go ahead and order one, don't want to have to wait for eBay or something else. I'll just bump a client's billing up a little to cover it! lol

Jay
  • rambos_ride
    jsrail wrote:
    Is that the same as the item #378 on page 47 of the last White Triangle News (nov/dec issue)? It says 1948-54 Hudson Body Manual. If so, I'll just go ahead and order one, don't want to have to wait for eBay or something else. I'll just bump a client's billing up a little to cover it! lol

Jay
    That I wouldn't know - not an HET member yet...

I was going to point you to the online HET store but it looks like HET Store website is taking a step backwards

http://www.hudsonclub.org/hetstore.htm

I won't get on my soapbox again but seeing this just re-inforces my feelings that HET failures to embrace technology and PROMOTE it will be their eventual demise...
  • I hear ya man on the tech thing. But, I think it must be the same book, at least sounds like it and its $25. I'll give it a try.

Jay
This discussion has been closed.