SB Chevy with Dual Range Hydra-Matic in Hudson

Lee ODell
Lee ODell Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Has anyone installed a SB Chevy and retained the Hydra-Matic in their Hudson?

I had a SB Chevy and 56 Old dual range Hydro in my 35 Chevy Coupe back in early 1963. I believe the same setup would work in the stepdown if someone wanted to retain their Hydro with a SB Chevy engine installation. There would be no need to change shift indicator and possibly no need to modify the driveshaft. I raced that car on the street and track for 2 years and never had a problem with the B&M built hydro behind a blown SB Chevy.

It required removing the bellhousing from the Olds hyro and replacing it with a GM truck Hydra-Matic bellhousing. Eary Chevy and GMC trucks used Hyra-matics. Using the truck bellhousing on the Hudson hyro will allow it to bolt onto Chevy engine. But since the truck bellhousing bolt pattern to hydro rotated my trans a few degrees I needed the trucks oil pan and matching oil pickup to have a horrizontal botton on the pan. I have no idea why GM did that. I do not recall what the GM Hydro mounts looked like. The GM mounts and Hudson mounts may be similar, may be interchangeable???

I was just remembering something from the past that worked and may work on a modified stepdown or pre stepdown for someone wanting to use their Hyda-Matic transmission.

That was then. Today I would upgrade to an overdrive lockup converter transmission if I were to use a later model engine for my daily driver. Better gas mileage. I like better gas mileage. Lower RPM's for quieter running down the highway. I like quiet, better to hear the CD and conversation.

I'll say good night to you all.
Lee O'Dell

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Lee - are you giving up on the adapter?
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Lee - are you giving up on the adapter?

No, the adaptor is still on the table. Just need to get more funds to do it. I was just shareing options that I have done in the past, that worked for me then, for anyone that might like to try something different, knowing what is needed to make it work. The ol hot rodder sneeks out of me once in awhile but we plan to keep the Hornet original and add any Hudson type updates to make it better.

Thanks for asking
    Lee O'Dell
This discussion has been closed.