ebay 299.00 1950 4Dr Pacemaker - Project Car

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in Street Rods
This ones been on ebay before for more money I think...And I know no one likes the 4doors but me...and even though the body is a bit rough...for 299.00 you could get a cheap builder.

I paid 1600 (+500 shipping) for my 49 Commodore and even though my car was basically 98% complete, non-runner and needs to be completely torn down like this one...in defense to my surprise my 49 had never been hit or repaired ever...REALLY! Of course I bought it site unseen thinking I could restore it and we all know that's not gonna happen!

Again for 299 you could even buy it as a practice car for chopping and channeling! Make it into a drag strip car, parade float whatever...

1950 LEAD SLED HUDSON STEP DOWN PACEMAKER SUPER SIX

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1950-LEAD-SLED-HUDSON-STEP-DOWN-PACEMAKER-SUPER-SIX_W0QQitemZ4599360632QQcategoryZ10076QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
50b1.jpg
50b2.jpg

Here's what I would do to 4 door like this if given the time and money...
  • Chop the top 2"-3"
  • Make the rear door suicide style
  • Remove the center pillar and re-inforce the floor and run a roll cage to make up for the removal of the pillar.
  • Remove the upper window frames to make them like the later model stepdowns or a newer car which ever you prefer to think. With the rear doors opening suicide just think of all the access room with all the doors open! Maybe some swivel buckets so you could turn around and play cards or something(not while driving of course!)
  • I'd section the body 1" on the top layer 1" on the bottom - probably have to pie cut the hood down a bit to match - maybe make a fiberglass hood and fenders?.
  • Channel the floor and connect a Fat Fab subframe to the rear "frame" for added strength.
  • Recess and narrow the front bumper into the valance so it mimicks the rear bumper look and make the bumpers 1 piece.
  • Cut out and replace the rear inner frame rails to allow for tubbing the wells and putting some huge street slicks on it with the skirts on!
  • 1000hp Big block with an electronic controlled 6 speed trans so I could have a tilt wheel with butterfly-paddles for shifting.
  • And All the electronics going into my 49
    • Computer and/or Xbox
    • 4 camera IR night vision color camera system
    • 3 7" lcds in dash (One switches between rear view to "traffic light" view - the other 2 are for left and ride side view mirrors)
    • 1 Dell 24" wide screen monitor for the rear seat are for DVD's, games, computer/internet.
    • Satellite Radio
    • Power windows and alarm of course
    • Front and rear AC
  • Currie Built 12 bolt posi to mount the big meats to!
How's that for dreaming of something to do to a 299 beater!:eek: :rolleyes:

Comments

• That's awesome Dan!!!! If I had a 4 door, I'd suicide the rear doors as well. Great idea with the window frames.....never thought of that. But, some of those ideas I plan to use eventually on my Coupe, like power windows, front and rear a/c (just gotta figure out the "rear" part! I gotta have you come down and give me some of those ideas! :-)

Jay
  • This thing is actually either a commodore or a super.

If I were inclined to street rod a hudson, this one would indeed make an interesting project. I think that with some creative sectioning, and a conservative chop, as well as rolling the rockers, and radiusing the rear wheel wells, this would be quite wild.... tough part would be working around the rear perimeter frame...
  • Hi, along with that chop job: how about welding the front and rear doors together into a single door unit that opens like minivan pop out sliders, remove the post to create one long door window power of course, and they can be motorized for remote open & close operation

tony j
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    I don't know about doors that open "auto-magically" - but to each his own...

I think I am one of the few builders who like to customize but only if it is unique and functional. I don't like the "Lambo" doors everyone is putting on their tuner cars and having door or trunks that open and close on their own is great for show - but functional?

Not that I'm a bank robber or anything I just want to be able to run over to my car - open the door - slam it - and drive off in an awful hurry if I need to! Not "hurry-up and wait" while someone tries to close a "Lambo" door or wait for the acutator to close it before I can drive!

If I only had the money, time and a shop to make my dreams come true...maybe someday!
This discussion has been closed.