edited April 2012 in HUDSON
On my 1940 Hudson pick up it has no torsion bar /
sway bar did it come with it can i put on on will it
help the ride and where could i find one are their
new one made for the 40s Hudsons thanks Chip

Comments

• 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    Chip - The trucks were not factory equipped with the rear sway bars due to the fact that the springs had approximately twice as many leaves as the passenger car. Some of the guys have swapped rear springs with passenger cars - this helps the ride considerably, but should you decide to haul a heavy load you might have some sway and droop of the rear of the truck.
  • Todd H
    Todd H Expert Adviser
    You may be able to repurpose a rear sway bar off of a 40 to 47 passenger car. You would have to drill the necessary holes in the right frame member and add the "ear" on the rear axle housing. K-gap used to sell the rubber bushings
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Chip, are you speaking of the front, or rear, torsion bar? My understanding was that the cheaper Hudsons like the 112's and pickups, didn't come with one for cost purposes, but that they could easily be retrofitted. You may in fact be able to find the components NOS. I did, for example, when moving from an original '37 sway bar, up to the improved 1939 version. Everything I found was NOS and I discovered that it would all bolt on using the original holes. So, keep your eyes peeled, ask around,....and good luck! See you at the Front Royal flea market!
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    It was for the front of the truck
    not the rear and thanks to all.
    Chip
  • Chip,
    The "cheaper" Hudson models did not have torsion bars (Jon is factually correct but politically incorrect! LOL). The anti-sway bar for the front that Jon references was called "Auto Poise". It was new in 1939. Because of the improvement in handling characteristics, Hudson created a retrofit kit for all 1937-1938 Models. However, I wouldn't think the Auto Poise would work on your 1940 because it has an IFS. Perhaps someone with a '40 - '42 could chime in an let us know what they have on their car/truck (ie torsion bars, sway bars).

Kevin C.
This discussion has been closed.