it was 30 miles away and i just couldn't resist

2»

Comments

• hoggyrubber
    hoggyrubber Expert Adviser
    yes, I got that upper grille shell pretty cheap. someone had cut it up to use it for something I guess. I used a old rusty Hudson hood to make the lower half. I had to weave the mesh back together on bottom portion too. I may actually get this thing going before the end of the year!
  • hoggyrubber
    well I am about ready to try and fire it up in a few days. we will see if the tranny works pretty soon! the motor is all buttoned up and the timing is set. I will prob have everything done by December. here is a shot of the side and the engine. I just finished rebuilding the carbs. 
  • hoggyrubber
    here is a picture of the inside. I made the handles out of stepdown handles. I also used a 52 steering wheel and the column. by the way anyone have the inner part that goes on the steering wheel the want to part with? I have a couple of different styles from hudsons, but none that fit this wheel. 
  • hoggyrubber
    i also bit the bullet and made the rumble seat lid. it actually was pretty easy. i used a stepdown parking brake handle as the handle. i am also looking for another stepdown heater tag if anyone has one. rough is ok.i used it to cover up the outer door handle hole. i made a latch and it works great, but it can only be opened from the inside.
  • hoggyrubber

getting pretty close and i am pretty excited. by the way i am also looking for a Hudson, 30 i think, bumper clamp. i have the center one and one side. if anyone has anything even close i will consider it. i may end up making one if i can't find one.

by the way i have named her "Little Rotten" since the body was so rusted out and in pieces when i got it.

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Hoggy,
    Your having a little too much fun!
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser

Looks like something built in the 50's . Very creative use of what's at hand.

You seem to be enjoying your hobby.

Don't forget the seat belt.

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    A creative use of what you have and another car will be hitting the road soon!

Great post and good news
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    What a great save!

• Very nicely done. How about a video the first time you get her running?
  • hoggyrubber
    thank you all. I will def let everyone know how the startup goes. not sure when I will try 7 deg polar vortex tonight! I am too computer dumb to do a video, but I may get my buddy to do one. I am in just over $1300 so my project didn't break the bank! 
  • hoggyrubber
    well little rotten lives! got it started up today. I had to use a 12v battery, the 6v one I had wouldn't spin it enough to fire it up. I still have a few things to finish up. need a water pump this one leaked, I knew it would, the bearing had a lot of slop. looks like the tranny works at least a bit, when I put it in gear it went forward. I couldn't drive it as it was raining outside. 
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    SUCCESS!  Congratulations,that has to feel good!
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Pip-Pip Hurray for you and your tenacity!
  • hoggyrubber
    well i actually got to drive the essex "little rotten" today! i got the engine started for the second time since i got it back together and it actually runs pretty darn good. idled good and seem to have goos response. looks like my carb rebuilds worked! lol. the tranny also seemed to work and shift. after it started up and built up pressure i need to add some more tranny fluid. no antifreeze leaks, no  oil leaks, good oil pressure, not too hot. everything is good. i was super happy. i started both the hudson and the essex and drove them both. my buddy did make a vidoe of me starting and driving the essex so i will try to upload it later.  
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Congratulations!  Look forward to the video.  
This discussion has been closed.