Radio Info for people with stepdowns

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hello, This info will help anyone interested in stepdown radios.
The most unreliable part of the radio is the vibrator.
These vibrators have a set of internal contacts that corode or burn.It is the tall round tin can looking thing inside the radio.
These vibrators can be replaced by a modern plug in solid state type. Available from Antique Automobile Radio Inc
700 Tampa Rd. Palm Harbor Florida.
Plug the new one in specific to your needs i.e 6 volt positive ground etc.
If you have converted your vehicle to 12 volt negative ground as I have you will need to do the following.
Purchase the 1015N model which is the 6 volt negative ground version. Then place a step down resistor in the supply line to the radio. I used 2 clarostat type resistors in parrallel that are large and come with a little mounting bracket making installation easy. Put these on the firewall under the hood and out of the way they are going to get quite hot as they drop the voltage to the radio keep away from flammables.Voila your done. I have about 80 of the clarostat?resistors if anyone interested. $2.00 ea you pay for mail.2 required for the job.
Radio tubes are not that rare and if you watch ebay the tube numbers will come up from time to time or there are many sites for antique radio vacuum tubes.
Or you could just take your radio and have it overhauled.Since I prefer to do everything from soup to nuts myself that was not an option. Hope this info helps someone out.

Comments

• Try this first. If it doesn't work you haven't lost anything. I have been sucessful in prying the top of the metal cover up until the vibrator is apart. Clean the contacts with a point file. After making sure it vibrates, put it back together, bend the top of the can down again and seal it with tub seal.
  • Hi, Steve Engel, the club Radio spec has been restoreing tube type radios for 33 years and has done dozens of them for me, including safe 12 volt conversions. with one year full gaurantee from day of installation, can restore your radio to like new, with all new orig tubes, capacaters, etc. or change to 12 volt. He is in the roster or call 909 823 3811, In Fontana, cal, best, Bill Albright
  • Bill, jose perez here, just signed in My question is is the radio for my hornet 12 volt?
  • I would like to make arangements to buy 6 of the clarostat resistors. How can I get in touch with you outside of this forum?
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    The other thought abut reducing voltage is to use one of the commonly available electronic gizmos that supply 6V from 12V. Buy one big enough and you should have enough power to supply your fan motor and overdrive solenoid as well as your radio.
This discussion has been closed.