Jet Freeze Plugs

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
HI, My Jet is heating up when I drive it fast, 60 MPH on a hot day will make it boil. I think the problem is that the block has lots of scale and it is gradually plugging the radiator (the car sat for 30 yrs) Last year I had the problem and flushed it very well and it seemed ok, but yesterday I had a similiar problem, not as severe as last year but the tubes in the rad are getting plugged. (Radiator is OK) Now to my question, if I pull the freeze plugs will that allow me to get at a lot of the scale in the block? How difficult will it be to replace the freeze plugs? Are they a standasrd size? Will they tend to leak after I replace them? Thanks--Dave Griswold

Comments

• Dave, you will have to remove the water pump and take out the brass water distribution tube to get access to the water jacket, as this sits along the block behind the plugs. It may be blocked up as well,which would cause your problem. Replace the plugs with brass, they are standard 2" plugs. You shouldn't have any problem with them leaking afterwards. Put a bit of gasket cement around the recess before installing the plugs. Good luck.
    Geoff (N.Z.)
This discussion has been closed.