V8 conversions

raidmagic
raidmagic Senior Contributor
edited July 2013 in Street Rods
I'm looking at doing a V8 swap. Anyone done it? My concern is the steering box. What clearance issues am I looking at here? Please don't try to dissuade me on this that isn't the point of this thread. I am looking for people who have done this and what obstacles they have come against. Thanks

Comments

• raidmagic
    Thanks, I thought I put it there to begin with, won't be the first thing I've screwed up. haha. I will contact Ed, thanks for the lead.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    edited July 2013
    The big issue is - how much fabrication do you want to do?

Do you want the stock steering/suspension intact?

What about transmission?

I have my 49 setup for a 454/TH400. Utilizing stock motor mounts (albeit moved and new brackets on block) still using the original suspension and centerpoint steering without having to do "too many mods" but it was more than some would want to attempt..its a tight fit :)

Using the same approach I did, fitting a small block v8 would fit more easily - but header clearance is another issue..I went with a Sanderson Cast Header, it was the tighest fit I could find.

• raidmagic
    Well this makes me feel better. I'm not afraid of some fab work just looking at the steering I didn't think there would be room but if you fit that big block in there then I won't have a problem with my little bitty small block.
  • rambos_ride
    edited November 2013
    raidmagicverizonnet - don't forget if you put a modern engine/trans..you're going to want to update the driveshaft (bigger) and rear end - or learn to keep your foot out of it ;)

And of course..if you don't care about original suspension/steering and have the bucks..a fatman sub-frame and MII suspension is worth consideration.
  • raidmagic
    I don't have the bucks and I can't see a logical reason to rip out all this good suspension to be honest. The car rides like a dream. I could sell my 308 and trans to buy the Mustang II but I don't think I want to go that route. If I can use the stock stuff I plan on it. I have a few rear ends to chose from, just need to measure and see what will fit best, for now I'll use the stocker. Not building a racecar just something a little more updated. Let me know when you get a chance to put up the info. This week I am going to get good pictures and videos of it running and driving so if I do decide to sell the engine I'll have proof of it being a runner. I think I'll pull it next weekend.
  • rambos_ride
    edited July 2013
    ? If it runs, why not just drive it OR at least drive it now and tear it down in the wintertime ?

See the 49 with the 454 had a frozen flat-head motor when I bought it...never got to ride or drive it...and it being a full custom rebuild, is still years and thousands away from completion.

Although it's down right now for a gas tank R&R, I've been having a hoot driving around with the 51 Hornet "rat-rod" I bought this summer to "scratch my itch" to finally drive one.

I bet I get just as many looks in that car (51) as the shiny, sparkly ones do ;)

• raidmagic
    It has more issues than I want to spend time and money on fixing. Besides winter here is prime driving time. Nothing like cruising down the road when it's 60* out
  • rambos_ride
    edited July 2013
    raidmagicverizonnet - I gotcha, where you at anyways?

goto my website..I've started adding things back, will work on it slowly over the next week and get the relelvant chassis/engine content up there.

doggonecustoms.com -> Project Archives in the upper menu..its bound to change some but got the first article up there.
  • raidmagic
    Tampa Florida. Thanks for getting that up, I'll be reading and learning. I started pulling my motor yesterday.
  • rambos_ride
    You shouldn't need to mess with the draglink, or pitman arm...i needed the clearance for bbc...the main things on that page are re using the motor mounts and header clearance to the a-arms.

Wait until you see how I did the trans/driveshaft I think you'll like it.
  • raidmagic
    First off I'd like to say, LOVE the dog. We have a yellow Lab now but I used to have a black Lab, Sampson, he got hit by a car on 1/1/05. Still bugs me what happened to that dog. He was awesome!

Anyway back to the subject. I look forward to the next installment, am I missing the part about motor mounts? I didn't see that.
  • HUDSONBROTHER1
    HUDSONBROTHER1 Expert Adviser
    I have a 1953 4 door with a tri power 400 Pontiac / th400 in it, been there since 1983. I also have 1947 coupe with a 455 Buick with dual quads and NOS that I used to run at Carlsbad raceway. Both cars have stock front ends and drive great. The only upgrade I plan is a disc brake kit. I personally would not waste the time and money on mustang 2 suspension, why downgrade the suspension. Hudson had the suspension right on.
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    HudBro1, Right on Bro.
This discussion has been closed.