47 Hudson Alternate Frame

[Deleted User]
edited August 2013 in Street Rods
Just bought myself a 47 Hudson in great shape, but it hasn't run in about 30 years. I'm looking at putting a Ford 351W in it, got the running engine I need, but have the chance to get a chassis from a 79 Ford T-Bird which would give me the upgraded brakes, suspension, and steering I'm looking for.

Here's the question though. Does anyone know if the frame from a 79 T-Bird will fit under a 47 Hudson 4-door with a minimum of modification?

The t-bird frame measures 112" from center of wheel to center of wheel (front to back), and 63" from mid tire to mid tire (side to side).

If the t-bird chassis won't work, does anyone have an idea of what might?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    Why you want to do all of that work? Just modify the motor mounts on the original frame. I've seen plenty of '47's with V8's under the hood. The original wheelbase is 124"
  • Yeah, in the end it seemed like it would be way more work than it was worth. And then I got a chance to get a good look at the frame and it's still in great shape.
    So, my next question would be about an engine. I bought myself a V8 for it, a 351W with FMX Transmission. Next hurdle, does anyone out there know a good set up for motor/transmission mounts? Or a good universal system?
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited September 2013
    FYI
    Theres a lot of room in the '47 unlike in the '30's. (A V10 would go in there)...... Just set Mtr Trans Assembly down in back near the firewall, then run brackets from the frame using channel, box tubing, or angle iron over to the Ford mounts by welding or bolting. If Carb Mtr need a few degrees tilting back.
    Suggest cutting the rivets on the rear crossmember first before setting Assembly into frame as may be possible to move the Hudson crossmember back some to accomodate the Ford Trans mount.
    Doubt there is a source for universal brackets, and even if so, they would probably need altered anyway. If Automatic the Hudson rear Gears will be too low and feel like need to shift up. Suggest find rear end from an automatic car that is the same width and same drive shaft Yoke.
    I like Ford Rears because same wheel pattern as Hudson with lot of widths & ratios. The Hudson front suspension held up well before Interstates and will support the V8 weight... Do it and good luck on your Project. Keep us Posted....
  • Marconi
    Marconi Senior Contributor
    When setting engine and trans in frame, get engine set about where you want it then with the carb and gaskets off the manifold put a torpedo level on the carb surface of the manifold and level it. Don't worry about the engine sitting low in the rear just level the carb mounting surface.
This discussion has been closed.