Motor/Tranny Mock Up

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I was looking at a website on a Ford coupe build up and the guy used a plastic sbc motor/tranny for his engine/tranny placement. Does anyone know where you can find these? If not too expensive, they would seem like a great tool, light weight and mobile. Much easier since I don't have a shop to mess around in.

Jay

Comments

• I found this website, but they want $330 for a LT1 engine only. They don't say anything about plastic trannies.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/replica-engines.htm

Jay
  • Add another $220 for a trans! Unless you have a shop and do a lot of mock-ups this would be very expensive. By the time you bought all the accessories you could have more in the mock-up than in the actual engine!

BUT, I have to say they are impressive looking. The Parts store I sometimes use has a HEMI mock-up on a stand and I was hard pressed to tell that it was a fake. They used real intake, and Oil pan, waterpump etc. on the plastic block.

Bob

Bob
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    jsrail wrote:
    I found this website, but they want $330 for a LT1 engine only. They don't say anything about plastic trannies.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/replica-engines.htm

Jay
    You won't find them any cheaper - maybe ebay...search for "dummy block"

I thought about getting a set but the cost was too much to make it worth it.

200 clams or less will get you a nice engine hoist these days. And it's not that hard to yard the motor and trans in and out with a rolling hoist - plus its a tool you will use again! (and everyone else who knows you will want to "borrow" it as well!)
  • Your both right! Too much for me to spend! I am going to buy a hoist soon. I'm thinking of using exhaust manifold bolts to hang the front chain from, you guys think its strong enough? The LT1's have so much crude on the top of the motor (and I don't really want to take it all apart) that it seems a good place to me.

Jay
  • Howdy

I got a nice one at Harbor Freight for $150, with fold-up legs. Motor attachments are another $30-40.

Billy
  • rambos_ride
    jsrail wrote:
    Your both right! Too much for me to spend! I am going to buy a hoist soon. I'm thinking of using exhaust manifold bolts to hang the front chain from, you guys think its strong enough? The LT1's have so much crude on the top of the motor (and I don't really want to take it all apart) that it seems a good place to me.

Jay
    That motor should still have the factory installation hooks on them - I think...

If you have a Costco, Sams Club, or similar you may want to check them out for a good price on a cherry picker lift. I have seen 2ton cranes with a nice engine stand for under 200.00 - but don't cheap out too much and get one you know will last and you will never have to buy or rent one again!

If it's its non fi - I would take the carb off and use a plate style lift point.
    EngineLiftPlate_46044_0VGA_799.bmp
    Harbor Frieght: Part No. 46044-0VGA $7.99

And spend the extra bucks to get a load leveler...
    EngineLift_2ton_LoadLeveler_42356-1VGA_2999.bmp
    Harbor Frieght: Part No.42356-1VGA $29.99
  • Dan, its an EFI motor. Has so many plastic covers, wiring harness, ecm, etc. all over the top of the motor I hate to have to take anything up top off. I didn't see any factory hangers on it except for the tranny which doesn't do me any good. My brother is coming into town next weekend from Missouri to take my old tent camp trailer out of my work area and is going to help me remove the old motor and trans from the Hud. I've seen the Harbor Freight stuff and it looks like good quality.....was definately looking at the leveler as well as I'm going to hang the motor and tranny together.

Jay
  • My partner has a client with a transmission shop and I talked to him today and have my gutted tranny. He's calling a buddy to see if they have a cracked sbc I can use. They would be so much easier to move around than a full drop in motor and trans.

Jay
  • rambos_ride
    Are you keeping the original wiper system? If so don't forget about the clearance for that - it'd be easy to overlook most people just worry about the firewall clearance.
  • Good point Dan. Yes, I'm going to be taking some measurements for that. The FI system doesn't sit very high, but I want to keep the wiper system for sure. I can measure up the rear of the manifold I think that will give me a good idea of where it will sit with the complete motor. Is there any rule about how far forward or back the motor should sit from the radiator? Mine will have to run electric fans (since there is none on the LT1) but they don't sit out that far from the radiator. I see on your website you state that the motor was set at 5-6 degree slant.......I assume thats 5-6 degree tilt backward (the rear of the motor is lower than the front)? In the old days we just tried to eye ball it, but I want it done better than that now. I know I will have to redo the tranny tunnel.

Jay
This discussion has been closed.