SWAP feasibility; LS1 into 1955 Wasp, 4-dr automatic (202 cu in I6)

[Deleted User]
edited November 2013 in Street Rods
Just curious if any one has seen the LS1 V8 ==> 55 Wasp SWAP ? ?

I have seen photos of Chevy V8 in the 53-54 Jets.

Your thoughts ?

Comments

• nick s
    nick s Senior Contributor
    i think you would have to build a console like in a cargo van to surround the back of the block inside the cabin . The wasp chassis is too short, thus why they used the 202 rather than the 262 or 232.
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    A HOLE LOT OF WORK THERE IS JUST NO SPACE TO PUT THE ENGINE BETWEEN THE FIRE WALL AND THE FRONT BUMPER OH IT WILL FIT BUT IT WOULD SIT WAY TO FORWARD
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    The '56 Wasp is short wheelbase holding the 202. Similarly the '53-54 Jets were short wheelbase and held the 202. You wouldn't put a Hornet in a Jet unless you were building a race car because of the weight and intense work required. And you won't put a Hornet in that Wasp for about the same reasons.
  • I wonder if anyone ever replaced a Hornet stepdown's 308 with a 202? I'm sure there wouldn't be a fit problem!
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    I have seen 202s put into '47 and earlier pickups. Loss of 10 cubic inches but gets away from the splash oiling and its maintenance.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    No problem fitting a 202 into a 308's engine bay, but you sure would notice a difference in performance!
  • J Spencer
    J Spencer Expert Adviser
    Earlier in the summer I was at Canfield Ohio swap meet and there was a Jet there with a Chevy
    4.3 liter V6 in. looked like it fit really well.
  • Now, let's please consider a LS1 SWAP into a 55 Wasp 4-dr, automatic, replacing the 202 w/automatic; any thoughts ?
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    My thoughts. Take measurements of your Wasps engine bay, trans tunnel including any obstructions, spring towers, steering box and linkage, crossmembers, battery box and battery, etc.

Then visit local wrecking yard and measure LS engine, automatic trans, and exhaust manifolds. My thought is you will have serious major cutting and modifications to your Wasp to fit it in there. The LS engine is wider, longer than small block chevy and the exhaust manifolds angle away from the engine.

If you cut a big enough hole, you can just about put anything you want into most anything.

Let us know what you decide

Lee O'Dell

This discussion has been closed.