Steering

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Another question I thought might deserve a new thread. On my 49 I'm switching from a standard tranny to a newer automatic so here's the question. How hard would it be to install power steering and what steering column would you recommend. I do have a 54 Hornet with the Borg warner automatic tranny but I don't know if the shifting would match up to a newer 350 or 400. Also I know that the transmissin crossmember has to be removed but what do I put in its place for the new tranny?

Comments

• mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Jim,

You are asking a couple of questions there. It may do you good to check out "Rambo's Ride" at www.49C8.com

It is really a great site showing step by step progress.

Dan has already done some of the things you are asking such as a bbc in the Hudson.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Hi Jim!

Thanks for the props there Chaz!

Jim - The venerable Small Block Chev engine should be an even better fit than putting my Big Block in my 49. Although it sounds like you will have to do something about your oil pan and pick up...

Since the SBC is smaller If you emulated my BBC engine/trans installation I'd bet you would not have to modify the steering-pitman arm and drag link assembly as I did. Let me know if you have any more questions about how I did my install.

With the small block you could also have more header choices - but really I like the look of the cast sanderson headers I got.
  • Wes Kitchens has a very complete set of pictures, on putting a sbc in a stepdown.

wkitchen@midsouth.rr.comHET (drop the HET) Also He uses the original steering and front suspension, but has the Labud disc brake conversion up front.

Bob
This discussion has been closed.