Need helpful info on 36 hudson tp

[Deleted User]
edited March 2014 in Street Rods
Ok my picture is of a 38 ford 5wd that brought me to a terraplane. I am building a 38 ford converting to a 3wd using a extremely rough 5wd body I need compound curve area next to the deck lid. Was cruising craigslist a found 30's coupe rear clip body for $500 with misc. bought it for 400 and brought it home to measure and cut It came with 2 69 Camaro bumpers r and l 34 Chevrolet doors 2 front fenders off 48 ford chev 12 bolt rear mustang 2 parts, misc. bumpers and 3/4 of a hood. Well the hood is 36 terraplane and the rear clip with deck lid, 2 fenders, spare tire mount ,and rear pan are 36 terraplane. So now everything is changed Not cutting this up! found patch panels from old rear fenders. In December I bought 37 tp off eBay that has frame, cowl, 1 door, 2 fenders, and door posts ( my posts are bent) Tree fell on car and yes know I now 36 is different then 37 but needed something to get at least close to full car. Found 36 grill on eBay no emblem Need a good picture with ruler or penny for scale of hood or grille ornament After finding out 36 is different then 37 bought 36 front cowl with dash cluster and 2 doors and some sheet metal Well it ends up being panel delivery (COOL, COOL, COOL) Then at swap meet find 2nd 36 grille so picked up hemming motor news and that month the article is on 36 dodge panel delivery, 36 ford panel delivery and 36 Chevrolet panel delivery. Well the 36 dodge fenders have huge curves like terraplane So I found set of 36 dodge fenders. Years ago I built a 34 dodge 5wd coupe (street rod) Parts were hard to come by but not impossible. Terraplane parts seam even harder. Thinking on as close to original as possible with exception of drive train and other all parts that I will have to modify also picked up 36 dodge rear bumper close to right length and mounts but ??? So list of pictures with ruler for measurement are grille emblem, running boards, splash aprons, panel delivery rear doors, front fender without grill so I can see inside how it mounts to grill Sorry to need so much but have never seen one of these cars in person.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Not sure if you are asking a question here!  If you're seeking specific things, possibly you could list them, then someone can help you.

Reading your message, it almost sounded like you were trying to restore a panel delivery.  Is that what you're saying?  If so, you may (or may not) know that two 1936 panel deliveries have been restored in recent years, one in northern Indiana and the other near Pittsburgh.  One or both of the owners might be happy to let you take measurements and photos "up close and personal" to assist your restoration.

Or, maybe you are making a 1936 street rod.  Some guys have done that and may have the answers you need.

Body parts for 1936 Terraplanes are scarce but not impossible to find. You may want to pursue finding the "real thing" first, before resorting to installing parts from other makes of car.  My advice would be to work up a list of parts needed (with photos of the actual parts, where you can find other cars to photograph) and to e-mail them out to some of the many people who advertise in the White Triangle News.  Many of these sellers are not on line, so won't see your message in the Forum.  (In the old days we would send our "wish lists'' out in an envelope contained a stamped, self-addressed envelope for a reply from the seller.  Now we have internet, and it's much faster and cheaper!)
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI
    If I read correctly you want measurements and pictures. Ive interchanged '36 & 37 Hood Ornaments even though different appearing seperately. Here are couple misc front end pictures.
  • Sorry list is 1 grille emblem 36
    2 running boards
    3 splash aprons
    4 rear doors
    5 how fenders mount or attach to grill shell.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    edited March 2014

Grille isn't really attached to the fenders., it just slides in between the fenders. It's attached to the radiator mount structure at the top, then a single fastener to a frame bracket at the bottom.

• Ol racer
    edited March 2014
    The front fenders mount to the frame at lower front up from a bumper bracket & at rear angle bracket over from steering column area, They also bolt to the Cowl & under sides of Grille (not visible in Pic). There isalso a Bolt at top of Shock mount. The Fender bottom bolt into the running board fore & aft. The Grille & Fenders are all tied together with 1/4" Rods that crisscross over the motor. I dont use the RS Inner panel but the LS Inner panel holds the Battery, but could relocate Bat.
    Are the Parts listed that you Need? There are Repo Running boards available..

• Thanks that now makes sense. Repo running boards any idea where or who?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    No repro boards so far as I know.  K-Gap used to make 1937 covers, but they're history now.

You could ask Doug Wildrick, he took over K-Gap's rubber parts biz: http://www.wildrickrestorations.com/wildrickrubberparts/wrp.html  Maybe he has plans to repro them.

Here are a couple companies that will repro on a piece by piece basis. One of them quotes $800 to 1000 (this is for the rubber, not the metal part):

http://www.runningboardrubber.com/vintagerunningboards.html

http://www.runningboardrubbermats.com/

Someone was offering a used set, complete, on HAMB last year:  http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=766492

• dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    After completely rebuilding a 1936 Terraplane Panel delivery, I donated a complete set of blueprints for Hudson panel delivery to the HET Library. I believe they are now on file at AACA Museum.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    May have to go to Home Depot and get some rubber runner and make do.
  • dave s
    I purchased my running board rubber from Doug last summer.
  • Thanks for info on blue prints but I'm not savey of AACA Museum Where or how do I contact?
  • Ol racer
    FYI
    Every once in a while ive noticed someone in Canada makes running boards for Terraplane, but maybe they were for the pickup Trks... I dont recall their name... perhaps someone else remembers....

Additionally, terraplane running boards can be duplicated... I had a Set made by a local sheetmetal guy. He made them in his garage using a portable 'Sheet Metal Brake'. Their perfect except dont have the lengthwise protrusions (In otherwatds the tops are smooth)
  • dave s
    If you are planning a project of that magnitude, you should be a member of both HET and AACA AACA museum is in Hershey, PA www.aaca.org
This discussion has been closed.