FIRING PROBLEM

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I have a 1951 Hudson 232 with overdrive. My problem is that the 2 cylinders closest to the fire wall are not working. When I have it running it misses and when I took off the 2 spark plug wires there is no change but when I took off the other 4 wires there is a change. I took the head off and all the valves and pistons are seating fine. I have put a tune up kit on it. Thanks for you help. Don

Comments

• Are you getting fire to the 2 plugs from the distributor and have you run a compression check? Did you replace the wires and distributor cap when you did the tune-up?
  • firing order for just about every 6 cylinder car is 1-5-3-6-2-4 make sure you didn't swap a couple when you did your tune-up.if that ain't it,unscrew one of the (non-firing) plugs and lay it up on the head near a head bolt with the plug wire reattached,then crank the starter and look for a fat blue spark.might help if it's getting dark out.let us know what you find out-george
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    If you do have spark and the firing order is correct, it is more than likely a bad head gasket. The space between number one and two is not very great. It is real unusual for two cyls to both go bad at the same time unless it is the head gasket. It is possible that two valves went bad at the same time but it is unlikely.

LEw
  • Yep, new distributor. Thanks.
  • Thanks...will try over the week-end.
  • Thanks... I had already put on new head gasket.
  • [ QUOTE ]
    I have a 1951 Hudson 232 with overdrive. My problem is that the 2 cylinders closest to the fire wall are not working. When I have it running it misses and when I took off the 2 spark plug wires there is no change but when I took off the other 4 wires there is a change. I took the head off and all the valves and pistons are seating fine. I have put a tune up kit on it. Thanks for you help. Don

[/ QUOTE ]

Don: Long distance diagnosis is a wish and a prayer at it's best. I think there might be a corollary with an experience the former President of HET, John Clement experienced when the 262 engine in his super 6 Hollywood was rebuilt. The engine was overhauled and all the new gaskets and machining were performed to assure that the outcome would create a like new engine. The engine was reassembled and when it was started it had very low power which was attributed to a variety of maladies. In the end the source of the problem was traced to a warped head. Even though the head was taken to a reputable shop where they had experience in truing Hudson L heads. This head had a warp right in between the cylinders you are having compression problems. It took quite a while to find the problem and as I remember ... an outside the group look see was needed to get to the right solution. Good Luck ... Use a long true straight edge to check that head.

Ken Cates
    AKA Heart O Texas
    53HAUL.gif
    Ken Cates Stepdown Restoration Website
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    I don't see anything about the actual compression figures for those two cylinders. What is it? Try a pressure test to see exactly where the compression is leaking: Take the plugs out, and put the one to be tested near top dead center on the compression stroke (just have the dist. rotor pointing to that cylinder's position on the cap). Then apply an air hose with a rubber tipped nozzle and about 40 psi pressure to the spark plug hole and listen for air leakage. You'll hear it out the adjacent cylinder spark plug hole (head gasket sealing problem), out the breather pipe (ring blowby), through the carburetor throat (intake valve) or out the exhaust (exhaust valve). If the engine's cold, you'll usually get a little blowby into the crankcase, audible at the breather ... to see how that normal leakage sounds, do the test on a good cylinder first.
This discussion has been closed.