'47 pickup near Annapolis, MD (needs work!)

Jon B
Jon B Administrator
edited April 2014 in Vehicles
Here's the Craigslist ad: http://annapolis.craigslist.org/cto/4428818003.html  If you're reading this after the ad's expired, here it is, word for word:

"1947 Hudson Truck, good project to work on, this is definitely a fixer
upper, another old Hudson will go with this Hudson for parts (package
deal)....serious inquiries only."  $4500 is the price.  No phone number or other contact information was given.

BUT....  I may know about this vehicle.

A friend stumbled upon a pickup recently in the same area recently and it sounds like the same truck.  He said that the "parts car" has been modified and very little is salvageable.  The truck (the non parts-car) is solid and very restorable, but has no engine or transmission.  There apparently was a bit of rust around the rear window and it was fiberglassed in. The tailgate is in excellent condition.  He told the lady who is selling it that, frankly, the truck was not worth $4500.  She might take this to heart, so be persistent if you are serious about this vehicle.  The truck is locate on Route 214 near the tiny town of Mayo, MD., south of Annapolis.  The woman's phone number is (410) 271-3805

Actually, I may know even more:

This looks exactly like the customized '47 that one of our late chapter members, Ed Weincek, created from a coupe and a derelict pickup.  Because he used a '47 coupe (note the flare-outs at the bottom of the doors -- not like a pickup truck!) the doors are longer than those of an actual pickup, so there is plenty of room to stretch out in the front seat.  But...he had to shorten the bed in order to get the elongated coupe and bed all on the same frame.

So, if I'm correct, this is NOT an original Hudson pickup.  Though it might be great for someone who is over 6-ft tall and wants a Hudson pickup!

Comments

• Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Appears to me the wheel base is shorter than 128 in PU. May have been made from a 2 door sedan.

Compare with David Davids extended cab PU.

Distance between rear fender and back of cab.

• Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    edited April 2014
    I tried to transfer photo of Davids PU but didn't work
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor
    I believe that the 46-7 s are long W/B only. Those doors appear to be from a 2dr. sedan/Coach/Brougham since they don't begin to arch downward at the top-rear like the coupe doors do. Makes for a neat, stock appearing job but with the much needed room for a practical vehicle. Or........it was made into a P/U from a Brougham. Who knows.
    F
This discussion has been closed.