How about a little help on some lenses…..:) ?

Let me know if you know the specifics on these.  I have several more to start identifying and getting them posted somewhere so folks have access to them if they need one.

Thanks in advance!
-Scott

Comments

• Here are a couple headlamp lenses from the CM Hall Lamp Company from Detroit, MI.  Does anyone know which years?  I think probably late 20's or early 30's but not sure.  One of them says Bi-Ray Head Lamp and the other one says Depress Beam Headlamp.

Let me know if you have any ideas.
    Thanks!
    -Scott
  • Thanks Ken.  Do you know what year more specifically?  I can bring a lot of this stuff home and we can go through it.
    Let me know.
    Thanks!
    -Scott
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    The tail light lenses look like what could be on my '39 112 ; I have a pair similar to that tucked away somewhere
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser

Hi scott.

The first tail light lens is for a 38 Terraplane , the second one is for a 37 not sure about the rest.

Regards Trevor 

• Hi, I broke a headlight lens on my 1936 Hudson Terraplane last year. From researching I found that the 1936 had 2 types of lens suitable for the headlight bucket. The 1936 measurement is the glass height is
    19.6cm  width 19.2cm  
    The
    makers name is Depress Beam head lamp C. M. Hall lamp co.Detroit, Mich. There should be no item number stamped into the glass. The picture of your lens looks like the common USA version which was fractured to increase the lights strength and decrease glare. The other type is plain glass with 3 loops (see my picture of my car's headlight) this type (mine) is the "export" type and has an "X" stamped at the top of the lens. this lens wasn't used in the USA. Sorry can not give you imperial measurements as I only know metric

cheers Ken

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Scott, an overall diameter might help someone determine what you've got.  (Actually, the dimension is less, from right to left, than it is vertically.  That's because the lens is only held at the top and bottom by the headlight rim.  To remove it, one pushes in and down at the bottom of the lens.  A gap then opens at the top, where one grasps the top edge of the glass and pulls the lens forward, and out of the shell.)

I have an article from Skinned Knuckles that shows all the available headlights of the 1930's.  Hudson used Bi-Rays in 1936 through 1939.  They used Depress Beams in 1935. 

And I think Ken (1962) is right about the Depress Beams with an "X" being only for exports.  My car was originally exported to Denmark in '37 (it even has a Hudson metric speedometer) and the lenses were (and still are) Depress Beams with the "X" on the lenses. I believe that even the reflectors may have been specially made for the exports.

By the way, are there any  more numbers molded onto either lens?
  • Hey fellas,
    Thanks for the help but I accidentally left these up at my dad's in OKC. Will have to check them out when I head up there later in the month.
    Thanks!
    Scott
This discussion has been closed.