engine weights

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Does any one know what the difference in weight would be between a small block v-8 and a Hudson six?

Comments

• I read somewhere that my sbc should weight in around 600lbs. When it was delivered w/ the tranny attached (4L60e) on a pallet, the total weight was 825lbs.

Jay
  • You're probably right Rick, but on my pallet it said 1,000lbs but actual was 825, so who knows. But, I did see a chart on engine weights some where recently in my web hunting, but for the life of me, I can't remember where and like a dumb*ss, didn't save it as a favorite. If my dimensia goes away, I'll let you guys know.

Jay "is it tax season again already!"
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Jimalberta wrote:
    Does any one know what the difference in weight would be between a small block v-8 and a Hudson six?
    I can't help with the wieght on a Hudson engine but here is a link someone dropped on the forum a while back for the v8's

http://www.carnut.com/specs/engdim.html
  • Some where on the forums in the last few days there was a post showing an ad for Hudson engines, 308s for $400 and smaller engines for $300. these were 55/56 crate engines and were being sold for agricultural/commercial/marine use. the ad listed the weight of the 308 asa 660 lbs. if I remember correctly. The engines included the intake w/carb, exhaust, Distributor, waterpump, pulleys etc. In essence a complete drop in replacement engine! This ad was from the 60/70s. Oh....for the good old days

Bob
  • I shipped a complete 212 splasher engine it was 585lbs crated. Thats without the clutch and trans. I think the trans shipped out at around 150lbs. I imagine that a 308 and hydromatic would be considerably more than that!
  • have you ever read up on how much less the motor weighs on the front end by just moving it back a few inches.
  • Is the idea that you put the motor back as far as you can? I don't have the manual fan issue with mine.

Jay
  • i can't find the article but it was a big difference moving engine back a little. it was the reason why you could use that little mustang front end under a big heavy 454. by moving the motor back you were taking hundreds off the front axle. wish i could find the article the numbers were real impressive
  • Jay, I agree with Frank. Put your engine back as far as possible without firewall modification. It will make a big difference in handling as you won't have as much weight on the front which causes some issue with steering being sluggish, even with a power rack and pinion.

You are at a bit of a disadvantage with the Pacemaker as it has a shorter wheelbase than the Commodores and Supers of 1950. I learned this when I put a 460 Ford in a 1953 Super Wasp which had the shorter wheelbase. Fortunately, the Ford has the distributor up front so it caused less clearance problems at the firewall than a Chevy would have.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    jsrail wrote:
    Is the idea that you put the motor back as far as you can? I don't have the manual fan issue with mine.

Jay
    Hi Jay - You have seen the pictures of my 454 install and I barely had to modify the c-channel for the distributor to turn - you will have plenty of room with your LT motor - it should be some 2-3" shorter in length so you shouldn't need to make any firewall modifications.

FireWallRepair_3med.jpg
  • Its called weight bias. Too much weight on your front end also causes push when you either go around a corner or a turn at most any speed, It just plan won't go where you point it. Lots of people put big boat anchors in small cars and brag about how fast their car is, but never tell how bad it handles. The closer you get to an even balance front to rear the better it handles, Handling is what makes a vehicle a pleasure to drive. Car like Rambo's is big enough that it should be OK. You can best believe that a Small block Chev. is a lot lighter than a Hudson anything and the fact that you have moved the weight center back aout 12' makes a BIG diff.
  • Sounds like good advice guys. I'll see what I can do without modifying the firewall, though I will have to build a new tranny tunnel I'm sure.

Today, we start unbolting the motor and tranny!

Jay
  • Just a thought but if we move the small block back to the firewall it would also help in lightening up the steering maybe?. Maybe I won't need power steering. Then if the front end is too light at high speeds I can add some sand bags just in front of the engine..lol
  • I don't think you would have a problem, just pleasantly suprised how well it drives. you have to remember this is a swap that has been done many times very sucessfully even some I have seen using a cast iron Hydromatic.
This discussion has been closed.