50 Split Rear Window

befishers1
befishers1 Expert Adviser
Just curious, does anyone know the story of the 50 split rear window?

Comments

• cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser

I'm going to guess that the glass technology of the time just couldn't produce the required curvature in one piece and they had already comitted to the design before finding out it couldn't be done.  I'm sure someone here has the definitive answer.

Another question is how did they decide which models and body styles got which window.  I know the Pacemakers all had smaller one piece glass but I think the Supers and Commodores had some weird mixture based on body style.

• My 50 Commodore came with a one-piece rear glass, but in the trunk was the rear divider and both pieces of the two-piece.  Obviously some one tried a mod!...k
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    '51 One piece window fits in a '50 except coupe and Pacemaker.. All '50's had the split rear window except Pacemaker's and coups. Even the Commodore coupe had the small rear window. The brougham had the split rear window. 
  • Mine is the 4-door.   2-piece?
  • Nevada Hudson
    Mine is the 4-door.   2-piece?
    Yep!
  • Nevada Hudson
    edited January 2015

You can always try to glue the center divider, in the center of the window, both inside and out, with special glass glue. Install flat weatherstrip underneath the divider, so it looks original. You can do that to a one piece '51 window, to look like a '50 split-window.

Then no one will ever know! 

• befishers1
    befishers1 Expert Adviser
    I was talking about the commodore 4-door 2-piece so this makes since, the larger glass seems to be the most logical but I noticed that most the rear windows were split in the 30's so I wasn't sure if maybe they were trying to draw some history into the 50 styling.  If the 51 was the same in a 1-piece then it makes sense that they most likely just couldn't get it made yet to be large enough.

So was the 48-49 smaller and the 50-51 larger?  Are the 52-53 even larger or are they the same with larger rear quarters in the 4-door?
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Yes they got larger and larger.
This discussion has been closed.