1937 Hudson for sale on eBay UK ; LHD model currently in France

PaulButler
PaulButler Administrator
edited January 2015 in Vehicles

The narrative for the car is interesting ; it appears to have been purchased from North Carolina in 2007. Anyone know the history of it at all?

See it here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1937-Hudson-Terraplane-90-perfect-concours-75-original-Amazing-time-warp-/321650775226?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4ae3e154ba

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited January 2015
    The car is "the standard" by which all 1937's would be judged: an absolutely stock, low mileage 1937 Terraplane model 71.  Prior to its ownership by the seller, it was owned by H-E-T member Duke Marley who resides in North Carolina, U.S.  Before that it was owned by a succession of Hudson guys, one of whom was Jim Many in New York.  It is rare and unique because it is unmolested and original in every way (although I understand that the present owner has rebuilt the engine and clutch).  If you are restoring a '37 and want to know exactly what your car would have looked like when it left the factory, this is the car you want to look at.

• And the present owner doesn't want to sell it (and won't be selling it unless he gets a VERY good price!!). But the present owner's pension company went bankrupt and has left him with very little to live on and some large bills to pay, so I've put this up to test the market. I am hoping to be able to hang onto it, because it represents the pinnacle of my automotive aspirations, and if I sell it, it's all downhill from here.

But needs must, hence the ad! I am REALLY hoping it doesn't get bid very high (and it probably won't, as they aren't particularly well-known in the UK, and I am in France, which makes it even harder for UK buyers to come and see it - and there are very few potential purchasers in France!).

Cheers, with great sadness but still some hope!

Alan
  • Jon - do you know any more about the history? I don't think Duke knew that much, and I only know his name out of all the owners. I do know the car came from New York though, because this came with it, which I find totally amazing (although I am a bit sad that it has been mounted, as it can never be un-mounted!).
  • I usually send this picture to people as an indication of what the interior is like. Everything you see in this pic is 78 years old and 100% original, except the front carpet, the back of which is just visible to the right of the pic, and which I have now replaced with one of the OE-style mats that Doug Wildrick is now selling.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Alan, I don't know the history of the car beyond the fact that, in the 1970's, Jim Many of NY State owned it.

Have you checked with Robbie Williams, the fellow who maintains the 1937 H & T registry?  He likes to keep as much info on each of the cars in the registry as he can.  Whenever he discovers that a car has been re-sold, he gets the new owner's info but does not pitch out the old info.  In this way, his registry is a good way to trace the past history of a particular car.  As a 1937 aficionado, he often knows the history of "special" cars like this anyway (beyond his capacity as a registrar).
  • Thanks Jon - no, I haven't checked with Robbie. The irony is (not for the first time in my life, it has to be said!) that the car consumed my resources and time over the last few years while I was doing the engine work and getting it 100%, and the idea was that now I have come to live in France and have more time, I could finally start to enjoy it! However, as I said above, the bank manager and pension fund manager have other ideas! But I would love Robbie's contact details if you can let me have them. I recently rejoined the HET with my French address, so I do get WTN by snailmail, but it's easier to ask you than look out my latest copy!

I would love to know more about the car's history if there is any info out there!

Cheers and thanks for the help

Alan
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    edited January 2015
    Hi Alan,

If you go the the "new" forum and click on the Member tab part way down that page you'll see "Find Current Member". 

Click on that , put Robbie Williams into the name fields and do the search.

That will display a hub record , if you then click "view" on that it'll give you all his details 

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Alan, give Paul's suggestion a try - you're an HET member so should have full use of the HET "bells and whistles" and it will provide much more up-to-date member info than even the latest roster will.

If you have any problems, PM me and I can dig out Robbie's contact info for you.  (In case you didn't know: you click first on the "blue name" next to a post, then when the next page opens, click on the "MESSAGE" box in order to send a private message)
This discussion has been closed.