54 Hornet inner door and quarter panel trim

duncan
duncan Expert Adviser
I am looking for any amount of the 7/8 wide ss strips that cover the seams on my 54 Hornet Hollywood door and quarter panel . The smooth stainless steel ones
They also had them chrome plated but I want ss. strips. I found a way to restore the strips and polish them to new condition . So if you have any of these
ss strips any condition let me know. Any length.   Hudsonly  Ray

Comments

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    edited February 2015
    imageimageimage

Not exactly sure what I have, but first picture is door trim.  About half of the clips on the back are missing on one piece and 4 or so on the back of the other.  The one on the bottom of the screen has 3 small dents, which are creating the bends, probably from someone improperly removing them in the past.  

2nd pic shows right side of first pic.  Screw was used to hold on one of the strips.  

3rd pic shows 2 sets of different trim, all perfect.  I'm assuming these are quarter pieces?

These are all stainless.  

Email me for more info.  
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    I'll see if I can get a better pic of the long pieces tomorrow.  I didn't realize that was such a bad picture.  
  • Chris Smith
    Chris Smith Expert Adviser
    Ray, are you able to take dents out of the trim? How about replacing missing attachment tabs?  
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Hi Chris.  I am talking about the 7/8 smooth ss strips that cover the seams on the door and quarter inner cardboard panels. If yo have the smooth pieces Yes I can take out dents and replace tabs and also 
    polish trim pieces. I am not sure if my friend will do this for some one else.I will ask him. Also it takes quit a long time to finish them.  Do you have smooth or bumpy trim pieces . Hudsonly  Ray

• Chris Smith
    Chris Smith Expert Adviser
    changing over to the smooth Hollywood style. the cheese grater style are not very attractive.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    All of the trim sections can be restored--just how much work do you want to put into them?  The places where folks drill through and put a screw can be silver solder and polished.  You can see the patch but if it is not to your standard the part can then be chrome plated.  Regular dents can be filed and polished--it all takes some time but looks nice when finished.
  • Hudson Grandpa
    Hudson Grandpa Expert Adviser

Ray: would you like to see my panels. If so can send you a pic.  My cheese grater style were so rusted, I had to go in another direction, which I am happy with.  My upholstery guy suggested these.  I'll need your email address again.

Dave

• duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Hi Dave A long time hearing from you I thought you went to Hudson heaven.
     Good to hear from you.  Ray
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Hi Everybody in hudson land.  I am still looking for these smooth interior trip strips. I can also replace any attachment tabs.Please do a post on this even they are bent and holes in them.  Hudsonly  Ray
    PS  Tell me what you have.
  • I am also interested in the smooth interior strips for a 54 Hudson Hornet 4 door sedan.  I am not an interior expert, but from pictures I have seen, two of the smooth metal strips were used on each door panel  on 53 Hornets.  Am I correct? 
  • RonS
    RonS Senior Contributor
    Gary, that is correct. There are two strips 43 3/4" long on the coupe door and 2 each on the rear panels below the quarter window at 231/2". Someone else can give the lengths of the 4 door. They are held on with small flimsy tangs that will break easily, especially at the ends. That is why many owners drill a hole for a retaining screw.
This discussion has been closed.