Muffler option

54Hollywood
54Hollywood Senior Contributor
Hi everyone.  I know this has been discussed before but I can't find the proper thread. So, here goes.  We have a '54 Hornet that is having some engine work done including adding headers and a new exhaust system.  (The car has Twin-H and the H-145 iron head).  I would like to add a flow through (single tube) muffler and rather than reinvent the wheel (or muffler) I'd like some options.  I'm interested in a muffler that provides a nice, low, mellow tonw that isn't overly loud going down the highway yet let's people know that there's some power under the hood.  I've heard good things about the Smithy's (Patriot) line but as you know there are a lot of options including Thrush, Walker, Cherry Bombs, etc.  So, what do you guys like and what length muffler do you recommend?  Is it the length that gives it the lower tone or the diameter of the muffler or...?  At this point I'm planning on just using a Y-pipe into a single, 2" exhaust but am still open to options.  Thanks.

Tim in WI.

Comments

• DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor
    If you are using a header why not dual exhaust? In that case I recommend 2 inch pipes then dual in-dual out Magnaflow muffler.  It is an internal x-pipe flow through design.  So, you get all the benefits of x pipe, steel pack, and dual exhaust.  I got the 17 in version to fit on my 53 in the stock position.  Sounds perfect- low rumble at idle, not annoying like glasspack at speed.  Love it.
  • David, is this what I got when I bought the car?
  • DavidC
    Could be, Richard.  Looks like a dual-dual.  I just love having all that technology and performance in a small package.  Still true dual with X pipe, if you think about it.  Does your muffler say magnaflow?
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    My only experience with X pipe was on my El Camino with dual exhaust was not favorable. Prior to installing the X pipe on the dual exhaust the off idle acceleration was very quick. After adding the X pipe, the off idle acceleration was very notically lacking the same quickness.

I learned later, that by adding the X pipe to the dual exhaust pipes is in effect like increasing the exhaust pipe size that reduces the exhaust gas velocity. Which in my case hurt low end power. But since most of my driving was at in-town driving the El Camino with the X pipe was now more sluggish during acceleration and in-town driving. That was a big disappointment because of the lost performance under normal driving circumstances.

I see two ways to restore low end performance. Remove X pipe or squeeze X pipe enough to restore low end performance and still have some benefit from the X pipe.

I hope you do not get similar experience with your Hudson by adding X pipe.

Lee O'Dell

• DavidC

Lee, sorry you had that experience with your El Camino.  Does not seem to be the case with mine.  A  torque straight six likely responds differently to such an intervention.  Clifford swore by X pipes but I welcome the input of racing types like Russ Maas.  As far as seat-of-the-pants result, throttle response is awesome in this car.  I stayed with dual 2 inch pipes to avoid the problem you speak of- at <=200 hp it is pointless to use bigger, and more difficult to route.  Total performance mods in my case are bigger cam (not 7X though, streetable grind), 262 head, bored to 318 ci (out of necessity), twin H, Clifford headers, dual 2 inch exhaust through the previously noted magnaflow.  The carbs were prepped by Walt who knew the mods I had made.  I get no lag off the line, and I do not feel there has been any performance detriment since removing dual glasspacks and installing this system, but I have no dynos to prove it.  I'm just happy to hit the gas and see the nose lift nicely.  I may be out of my mind but I figure HP in the 180 range.  Next step would be valve relief but I do not plan to go further.  I'm not racing it, just wanted to wake it up a bit.

Dave

• Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Glad to hear it Dave. Sounds like a good combination you have. Thanks for posting.
    Lee O'Dell
This discussion has been closed.