47CCS disc brake upgrade

For safety, I wanna upgrade the brakes to disc.........can anyone point me to someone that could assist with a parts list?

Comments

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Matt Faust
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
     On Ebay Americanbrakeandsteering for a 1948 $495.00 
  • Greg
    Greg Member
    thanks guys........Ill send Matt an email.  I thought the Symphonic bodies couldnt use the 48 and above brakes.  Sorry for my ignorance.......I know nothing of this car, other than the book I got with her.............she was in pieces when I bought her, and I wanna put her together ONCE lol.  Anyway, will I lose any of the book value of the car by converting the brakes?   Thanks for the replies
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI
    Matt Faust on this Forum has the whole Disc Set-Up. Suggest send Matt a PM.
  • DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor
    I ditto the recommendation to use HET folks whenever possible. The three guys I know of who were historically involved in disc conversions were all out of business when I was searching, so I got the ABS unit above (company name, not true ABS). Goes on original spindle with all easy-to-replace hardware. So, if Matt or others cannot come through for you for some reason, consider the above.
  • David:

I've tried to contact Matt Faust with no luck.  I also like the idea of keeping the business with HET folks.  Anyway, I saw the Ebay listing for the $495 disc brakes from American Brake & Steering.  So this is a true bolt-on conversion?  Any comments or advice?
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    fyi
    I believe Matt has everything you need using your Stock Hubs for Disc. I heard the Machine Shop is behind on providing New Hubs, but if nothing wrong with your Hudson Hubs he probably has what you need on hand. Regarding not getting ahold of Matt, I believe he travels a lot so may be temporarily unavailable.

Personally, I dont think upgrading to Disc Brakes hurts the value except maybe for a purist wanting a completely antique car....
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I would think a disc brake kit is reversible, should a future owner wish to go back to all-original.
  • Thanks for the input.  It's good to know that Matt is still in business. I'm more concerned with safety than originality. We would like to make this old girl an occasional daily driver. Disc brakes would sure make me feel more comfortable in Atlanta traffic. 
  • Send Matt an email--he'll get back to you when he can.   I bought his kit a couple of months ago.  I've got the rest of the parts all sitting in the box waiting for his machine shop to come up with the hubs, but I've only got about 10,000 other things to do so I'm not exactly on hold.  Lol...k
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    In the other disk brake thread on the same page is this about the ebay kit.

Go to the end of the newsletter.
  • Thanks for putting a word in for me.  I'm with you--too many projects and not enough time.  I'm debating whether to start rewiring the old girl before I do anything else. I figure if the brakes are backlogged, then I'll order a wiring harness and get to work on that first. Gonna convert her over to 12 volts, so that will take more than a weekend. . .
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Stop-Run-Pretty / The words of a HET icon Bill Albright- the order of investment
This discussion has been closed.