Engine Needed (Nash173)

Ol racer
Ol racer Senior Contributor
FYI
A small Garage that I helped a few yrs ago find mechanical parts to restore a '54 Hornet that had sat for decades is now trying to restore a '49 Nash for a person .

They reached out to me to assist finding a Nash 173 Block or whole Motor somewhere. We tried the Nash Site (that now has Scam Warnings)

If you may have any Leads on a 173 Motor please let me know since these are real nice old school mechanic's

Thank You

Comments

• Lance
    Lance Member
    I believe I know someone who may have that motor. He has several.   Please email me and I'll supply you with his name and number. HEThornetllw@yahoo.com   Drop the HET  when emailing.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited June 2015
    Having dealt with folks in the Nash Club, I can tell you that they are a nice bunch of helpful people, but the club is composed of mostly Luddites.  I joined the Nash Club for a couple of years starting back in 2011 looking for help to restore a '52 Rambler for my Dad.  Their website is vintage early '90s and they communicate technical stuff through an email letter method that only members can access and be a part of.  So they don't make it easy to find parts and discuss problems.  Members are more than willing to help, but you need to find the right ones and the club is very small from what I can tell.  Another guy and I tried to get a forum started up and you thought we were heretics.  I caught a lot of flack with the mere suggestion.  The forum did get kicked off but it got very little traffic and last I knew it was no longer functioning.

Good luck, finding Nash parts makes Hudson restoration seem easy!
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited June 2015
    Dan
     Thanks for your input.  I am very glad the Hudson Forum is so Great but we probably dont realize how great until we go to find something for another orphan brand . Im sure there are helpful members and like you say finding them isnt easy.
     Thanks, Chuck
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Personally our forum is a great recruiting tool.  The Studebaker forum is also the same way. The Nash club keeps their tech discussions to members only and that is a killer, as outsiders can't get the info they need and eventually joint the club.  Just backward reasoning.  I talked to an older Nash Club member I got an engine off of and he had been in the club for almost since it was started.  He said the membership was dwindling and national meets are getting less and less attendance.  I rarely ever see a Nash at any car shows.  I am pretty sure there were more Nashs sold than Hudsons but you would never know it.
This discussion has been closed.