Re-torquing head bolts

Kdancy
Kdancy Senior Contributor
Do you-
Just go over each one in the correct pattern without loosening?
Loosen one at a time then torque to specs?
Loosen all, then do a 3-4 step torque as done at first?

Comments

• 48rob
    48rob Member
    Kerry,

I was taught to do as you describe in your second option;

Loosen one at a time then torque to specs, but just loosen, as in just barely move it, then tighten.

Rob
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor

While we're at it, lets address the question of "lubricated vs un-lubricated" threads. Actual clamping force for a given torque value is vastly variable and different between the two. What say our experts?

F

True, one must use one's head. Torque specs are sometimes given for both scenarios. The problem with dry specs are that they are dependent on factors unknown to the user, A lubricated spec somewhat levels the playing field.

As an experiment, when I recently replaced the head gasket on our '47 six, I torqued to 40 lb (in about 6 passes), did a heat/cool cycle, torqued again and did another heat/cool cycle and re-torqued. I marked each stud/nut, then removed them, one at a time, lubricating them upon re-assembly. I reduced the wrench setting to 37.5 and retightened, also one at a time. With little variation, each went about 90 degrees past the marks at the reduced setting.

Reading torsional resistance produced by friction isn't a very good indicator of clamping force.

Just another of Frank's observations/opinions. There are more.

• drivergo2
    drivergo2 Expert Adviser
    That's good to know!
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Why loosen and re-torque at all?  If the head has been pulled down, I can't see the reason for doing this. 

Because it really isn't "pulled down"....at least not to the degree that the designers intended. The torque you are reading on the wrench reflects a significant amount of force just to overcome friction.....force that doesn't contribute to clamping force. After all, the whole idea of tightening the capscrews/bolts/nuts is to achieve some necessary degree of clamping of two (or more) components in an assembly.

Frank 

Hmmmmm. It just occurred to me that I responded to something that Geoffrey didn't say. I'd "unpost" it if I knew how.

My apologies. I was still on the Lube vs no-Lube theme in my head.

F

• GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    edited July 2015
    Take from it what you will...
    www.arp-bolts.mobi/p/tech.php?page=3
This discussion has been closed.