Newbie from France

2»

Comments

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator

Sometimes the case with these visits Dom; people don't seem to appreciate the efforts made to get somewhere to look at a car!

Generally looks okay and all the things you mention are ones that can be addressed so what is the asking price then?

Dare we ask!

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor

I'm in running contact with Julie.  Apparently w/o clutch oil, the pilot bearing seized and twisted the end off the input shaft.  I have designed a fix consisting of a new nose, pressed 1 inch into to a 5/8 reamed hole in the end of the shaft.  I can have the part made here, but she'll need someone to drill and ream the shaft.

Otherwise, she'll need a replacement input shaft, or a replacement transmission.

Do we have some French people that can help with this?

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Good of you to help her out, Josh!  Sounds like she's on a budget and there are not a lot of Hudson-proficient mechanics nearby!

Yet another sad case of Clutch Oil Ignorance. Probably never even occurred to the previous owner that he might have a clutch that required the addition of The Magic Elixir.
  • sorry guys for the late answer, very busy those days....

Julie tells me you are in contact ,Josh, she was pleasantly amazed about your fast offer to help her,

that's a glaring example what a (and your) community can do even beyond the borders...

thanks ken for your help to ,il send you a PM.

and ,for the end of the story with that blue commodore, when i ask for the wanted price, he said coldly:

i' m asking 31500 $ but if you do the "little work " she need by yourself and take it as is, i would drop down

the price to 30000..... as we say here in France, "he took me for a ham"..........

so i'm afraid that I have to drive my Buick for sometimes yet .....

;)
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Wow Dom ; that's some price being asked for there! $30,000 ; he's hoping of course :)
  • the nada guide estimated price for high retail show $ 17000

it was very far from that level, in my humble opinion..........

as i know there are only 3 Hudson commodore here in France, with Julie's one but rarity is not always

synonymous with pile of gold........
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    "He took me for a ham!"  That's pretty good! 

They never taught me that in high school French.  More's the pity!

I think you were correct in walking away from THAT transaction!  Leave the seller to await his true ham.

• we can easily replace "he took me for a ham" by "he took me for a American guy".......which, as is well known, have pockets full of $...........
    :))
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Ha!  Nowadays it would be "he took me for a Chinese"......at least that was true until 4 or 5 days ago!
  • :))  Rich today ,poor tomorow ,who knows ?

In any case, this experience allowed me to discover a little more this model and reinforce my idea that I had on it, namely, a beautiful luxury coupe for its time, probably very nice to drive for cruising....

However, I hope to drive one one day, as promised me Julie.

• 54SuperWasp
    54SuperWasp Expert Adviser
    Et finalement, on en demande combien?  Michel

I asked him what is the asking price...
  • 54SuperWasp
    54SuperWasp Expert Adviser
    Oups! i did not notice the second page! ( Je n'avais pas noté la deuxième page!).
    C'est malaaaade comme prix! Michel ( The price makes me sick!)
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Mailing Julie a serviceable disk and throw-out bearing today
  • nice ,she'll be happy receiving those parts,the work will goes on again
This discussion has been closed.