23 Essex, Help save it?

kiwijeff
kiwijeff Member
edited August 2015 in Vehicles
Long story, but short version is, guy has partial 23 Essex stored in his Grandsons basement. Grandson opted to take his life, now owner of 23 is hurting bad, and wants to cut Essex up. He told me its for sale till Wednesday next week, then he's going to cut it up and sell to scrapper.

He's asking $1500 kiwi. The car has 3 engines with it, two 23 engines, and a 20. Four gearboxes, spare set of clutches,grille, bonnet, headlamps, spare diff parts, has cowl, but no body. It was used years ago in the Bullet as a mobile roadmans hut.

I'm not interested in it, but would like to see it saved. Guys not interested in deals, or parting it out, he just wants it gone.

PM me if interested with your phone number, and I'll ring.

Comments

• ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Hi Jeff

I have sent you a PM

Alistair
  • Just checked in, I'll get on to it now.
    Thanks Alistair.
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Where in NZ is it?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    This piece of information sounds like a prime reason to send out an emergency mass e-mailing to all NZ Hudson enthusiasts present or past!  I wonder if Geoff or anyone else, has a list of enthusiasts in or out of the NZHET?  I know that this is what we in the CBC chapter would do, under these circumstances!
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Just checked in, I'll get on to it now.
    Thanks Alistair.
    Jeff

Taking Jon's tip above, if you can email me the info I can do a broadcast email to all our club members.
  • Alistair, I emailed, and it bounced back, saying it didn't work.
    Left Phil msg last night, and he left one for me, but Spark won't let me access it.
    Car is located on West Coast of South Island.
    I do have pics on my camera, so could possibly send em after work today.
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Jeff
    email to triangle at het dot org dot nz
    Should get through. Will check tonight, thanks.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Unfortunately there is more to this than meets the eye.  Lets compare it to a horse lover working in a pet food factory.
  • Here's some of the pics I shot a few months ago. Couldn't figure out how to get em off my parents computer, so took pics with my phone from computer. Hope they OK.
    Geoff, its pretty straight forward, I've outlined the reason why this is happening.
    I know he has tried to sell this before, but its a whole new ballgame now.
  • I'm not sure how much this stuff is worth, its rough, but there is generaters, starter motors, distrubutors, oil pumps etc, that arnt easy to find, so if you own early twenties Essex, it may be worth while.
    I don't want to be falsely representing anything, and I know this old stuff is only worth what your willing to pay.
    That said, if I owned a 23 Essex, I'd be all over it.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The main problem is shifting and storing stuff like this.  I'd be happy to give $300 for the rear end, but in former negotiations the owner would not accept this unless I paid full amount for everything.
  • Good news, the 23 is going to a new Southern home.
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Who is the lucky recipient Jeff?
  • Sorry I'm late checking in, I actually got a Sunday sleep in for a change. Its rainnin, so the loud people who frequent the local dog park were quite for once.

Im not sure of the new owners details, but he's picking it up next weekend, so if he's OK with it, I'll photograph the extraction, and do a small write up.
  • The current plan, is the prospective buyer is driving up today, and we will go see the Essex in the morning, (Saturday). If the deal goes ahead, we will get the trailer loaded up, and the buyer will be on his way by lunchtime, or earlier.
    I'm hoping we get nice weather for it.
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Encourage him to join the NZ HET Club!!

Dave Young
    Treasurer
    NZ HET Club
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    David - he is a member you know - talk to you later today.
  • Its been a long morning, but everything went very well.
    The new owner/caretaker is on his way home loaded up with all manner of 20s Essex stuff.
    Unfortunately it was raining, but we didn't let that stop us.
    We couldn't fit the two spare engines on trailer, so a friend of the buyer came out and picked em up, and will take them to their new home in the coming weeks.
    As promised, here's some pics.
    Another old Hudson saved, and may become a Speedster.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I have heard who the new owner is, and happy to report he is a H.E.T. club member, and a keen enthusiast who motors his 1923 Essex roadster extensively.
    Geoff 
  • ....and is a very nice fella.
    We got on well, and I've sent him a link to this thread.
    I will give him a quick ring tonight to make sure he made it home OK, it would have been a long trip.
    I feel good. I've not only helped save 30 odd years of collected Hudson product, I also feel it went to the right home.
    So some good came out of tragedy.
  • It took me a week to get back to the new owner to see how he got on, on the trip home.
    I've been very busy, with family from Canada here.
    The trip home was event free, and he tells me, when arriving home, he put loaded ute and trailer on the weigh bridge. It measured in, at four ton!
This discussion has been closed.