1946 Truck Help

pivotpro
pivotpro Member
edited July 2015 in Street Rods

I have several questions for the guru's out there.

Ill start with the fenders.  I have purchased a front clip from a 46 car.  I heard there is some issue with the running boards and the fenders.  Can someone elaborate on the issue and how to solve this?

Also looking for a radiator that will fit into the front and accept the rod from the firewall?  This truck has a LS1 Tahoe engine in it so I need something that will fit both the cooling needs of the powerplant and the front end hardware for the truck/car parts.  any suggestions?

Thanks

BG

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited July 2015
    I believe that the pickup trucks used 1941 front fenders and doors.  The 1942 through 47 doors flared out at the bottom to cover the runningboards, and the '42 through 47 fenders flared at the back to create a transition.  The earlier front fenders did not flare out because the doors did not have the flare on them.  So if you use those '46 fenders, they will flare out at the bottom, but there will be a "break" at the truck door, which does not have that later flare-out.

Of course you could of course purchase a 1946 door to go with your 1946 fender, and that would carry the flare-out neatly back to the rear of the door.  And then it would stop abruptly, because the cab of the pickup does not have the flare at the rear.

(Have I thoroughly confused you yet?)
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited July 2015
    FYI
    I dont think there is an Issue with car fenders but would be with using Car doors requiring removing the short flared  pc at bottom of doors when Hudson eliminated run boards on their cars.
    I eliminated top Radiator Rods when installed a custom radiator. You will need a Rad that will cool the LS1. Lot of room for a 4 Core and  could run an external Cooler ahead of Rad.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

BG - Do you have any current pictures of your truck project?

Rick

• Here are some shots of it as she sits in the garage.  Also a post collision pic.

I am sure the prior owner was a member as his wife mentioned the HET site.  He passed away last year and I purchased it from his estate.

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

Whoa!  I see why you need the sheet metal. 

I have one of those engines out of a 2005 Chevy Tahoe in my shed (along with the 4L60E it came from the factory with), patiently waiting to go into my tan '46 Hudson pickup- only about 400 miles on the engine (someday).

What's your engine mounts / transmission mounts look like?  Am very interested in seeing what you plan to do for a radiator.

I think you'll find that the engine is the SUV equivalent of LS engine - the LMG 5.3L or 5.7L version.  Essentially, the 5.3L has around 295 HP and around 320 ft-lb of torque.  It is pretty-much the same engine except that it has an iron block, not aluminum.  It is my understanding that all parts are interchangeable between the LS & the LMG 5.3L.

• I think it is a 4.8.  The frame was not damaged behind the front suspension at all.  The front "ear" of the frame on the driver side is in need of re-welding, but the frame and engine area are in good shape.

I am working on finding a radiator now.  Am hoping to get an aluminum radiator with the Auto trans cooler ..The ones I have located for the engine size seem to be a bit too wide though.  I think it will just take a bunch of cross referencing different cars w the same engine and find a size that fits the opening. 

Once I get the front end here, I will install the fenders and hood and get my measurements.  As I have never looked under the (undamaged) hood of one of these things, Im sure there are many small parts that I will be trying to locate to make it whole again. 

• Making Progress.  Just got the truck back to the house. Thanks to all who helped with phone calls and parts leads.  I figure Im still about 6-8 months from finishing.

• Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Looking good. Did the 4.8 exhaust manifold on drivers side clear the steering gear box and did you have to modify the X frame to fit the transmission? What radiator did you get to fit?
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor

How about sending me the SN so I can update the roster

HETcramerlp@roadrunner.com   and drop the HET

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

pivotpro - Can you take some pictures of the engine compartment, motor mounts, etc., for the truck?

Am interested in a good, close look at it - very much appreciated.

This discussion has been closed.