2»

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited July 2015
    Bump for more experiences
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    In my younger years I had a 36 Dodge with a flat head 6 cyl. engine.When it was real hot out I would have vapor lock. One year I was taking a trip about 600 miles South. I had my mechanic friend install a new fuel pump and a electric pump also. When I took the trip the further South I drove the more I had to use the electric pump.  At one gas station I poured in the gas tank 1/2 quart of type a automatic trans. oil in a full tank of gas. I started driving again with electric pump And a little later turned off the electric pump and finished the whole trip without using the electric pump.When I was at my destination we had a 3 car wide parade My car was reading 200 degrees and the car never skipped a beat.  Hudsonly  Ray
  • Is there any reason the top of my fan is higher than the radiator core?  Its about even with the tank just below cap.  I do not have a shroud and not sure if it ever had one if this is the stock setup.

• Need more blades on your fan; the WP pulley is worth it's weight in silver, if it is 5"OD !!
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    I see that many of you appear to be running a 160 degree thermostat versus a 180 degree.  Is this preferred?  I understood that engine sludge is reduced at the 180-190 degree range.  My engine is a new rebuild, I did the bypass mod, and have a  radiator a 3 row radiator.  With the condition of my cooling system and the climate in michigan I am sure the temp would drop down to the 170 range if I used a lower thermostat.  Would this be better?
  • Well I will post a completely different type of solution.
    I run fuel injection which includes computer controlled timing and fuel.
    It uses an inline electric fuel pump with a return back to the tank and 12v GM HEI ignition.
    So it incorporates a lot of the items used to help the carbs since it's a constant pressure constant flow fuel system.
    It's not for everyone but it does make the old engines much more user friendly.

This discussion has been closed.