WANTED: ESSEX SIX CYLINDER HEAD

Wiktor
Wiktor Member
edited December 2015 in Parts & Pieces
HELLO. My father-in-law restored 1932 Essex Six which was assembled in Belgium. Unfortunately, we have a huge problem. The head is broken and it's impossible to fix it. If any of you has such a head to sell? Thx for your help.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-VMnw81vnbWa1ZtM2NiR1NmdUU/view?usp=sharing

Comments

• The second problem is that i'm from Poland ;)
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The third problem is that the regular cylinder head fits the 1932 Essex, and the 1932-33 Hudson only -- which were low-production cars.  Possibly someone can suggest an interchange from a more popular Hudson product -- one that might require some slight modification, but which might still work.
  • i know... but with this head: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-1949-1950-Hudson-262-Flathead-6-Cylinder-Head-/252004971305?hash=item3aacaab329:g:JAAAAOSwNSxVf0ZC&vxp=mtr may be problem with water pump. Are this head fits (bolt spacing, combustion chambers, water channels) to ours Essex?
    And better, of course, would be the original...

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Write to Bruce Ardell, P.O. Box 15, fordell, New Zealand.  He has one. 
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    .. or phone Bruce on +64-6-3427713
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Wiktor:  The "Ebay" head is for a completely different engine, much newer.  I would be amazed if it would fit your car.  Ernie or Geoff, can you give Wiktor the e-mail for Bruce?  It might be easier to communicate that way, than over the phone (language difference).  And a lot quicker than via mail.
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Bruce doesn't have an email address in his adverts. I'll ring him in the morning & see what he suggests.
    Wiktor, I'm recently back from Bialystok. It's a shame I didn't know about your need earlier.
  • Thank you very much! I'm looking forward what Bruce would say. I live in Warsaw but Essex is in Rzeszow. In Bialystok is very nice modernistic church and good regional food ;)
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    From the photo it looks as though the waterpump mounts on the front of the head the same as the 34/35 heads. Do the experts know if indeed the 34/35 heads are a suitable substitute? If so I have one spare and its free. Getting it to Poland is another matter
  • Unfortunately, I don't know if it will fit ... If so it will be great! I've made more photos of the engine. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-VMnw81vnbWS3hhWjlkanRDYUE&usp=sharing
    Bob, do you have photos or head that you mentioned?

• ESSX28-1
    Bruce has several Essex heads but is unsure of the years. He will check over the weekend & I'll talk to him again next week.  I'm told that the 32/33 head has "Essex Powerdome" cast into it. Are there any other identifying bits?
  • bob ward
    This is what the 34/5 6 cylinder head looks like, you would need longer studs for the middle row of fixings.

One thing that needs to be checked is that your waterpump bolts up to the later head. The waterpump bolt hole centres, looking at the end of the head are (in inches) 3.625 across the 2 bottom holes, 3.25" from the LH hole to the top hole and 3.3125 from the RH hole to the top hole.

Let me know what other info you need, I'll do my best to help.

Unpacked weight of a head is 13kg, so probably 15kg packed.

• The dimensions of the waterpump mounting holes match up perfectly! I noticed only a slight difference in the head - no hole for the temperature sensor (there is the place without the hole) but it doesn't matter :)
    You know for sure the story of Amelia Earhart's Essex http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2014/08/05/another-amelia-earhart-mystery-could-this-1932-essex-terraplane-have-been-hers/
    engine of this car has newer type head. It doesn't prejudge anything, because maybe the whole engine was ever changed, but this is another clue.
    I have been looking on the internet, but it is difficult to find information if i can replace heads

• bob ward
    In broad terms, the Essex/Terraplane/Hudson six cylinder engine was pretty much the same engine from its inception in the mid 20s to its demise in 1947. There were of course changes to the engine as the years went by, whether or not the head stud positions varied over that period or more specifically between 31/32 and 34/35 I don't know.

I'll measure the head and the stud spacings, on these heads and get back to you. One of the heads has a threaded hole on this side near the rear of the head.

Airmail for a head to Poland from Australia is AU$370, about 1080 zloty. Both heads appear sound but will need a little work (remove broken off spark plugs for instance) before they can be fitted to the car. Someone with a better head that is closer to you may chime in.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You cannot easily use a Terraplane head on a Essex block, because the Essex has no water pump, hence water circulation would be severely restricted.   The Essex head has six holes in the top  for the water distribution manifold, and this allows the water to circulate via the thermo-syphon system.  A Terraplane head will in fact  fit straight on a 1931 to 1933 Essex block, but you would have to use a Terraplane gasket, and the compression would be very low because of the increased displacement of the Terraplane.  If you  wanted a good compromise, with a bit of engineering, you could use a Hudson 112 head, and use a generic external water pump  mounted on the engine plate,  driven off the fan belt,  and make up a water distribution pipe to go between the water jacket plates, with circulation holes that distributed maximum flow to the back of the block.   Would be an interesting experiment.   
    Geoff
  • Bob, you are the closest and you has the best head :) Little work is not frightening for us. May you measure also head height? Sending will not be a problem for you? If the dimensions will be the same then we really will want to mount this head to our Essex :)
    @Essex28-1: there is one crowded number: 40345-1
    @Geoff: We have flat head with waterpump on the front. In my previous posts are links to photos.

• Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    Engine pictured looks to be a 32-32 Terraplane.   If so, should be able to use the head Bob has.
    If I may ask, What is the casting number on your engine?? It's on the left side crankcase.  I can't quite see
    it from your picture.
    Thanks,
    "Ric"
  • There are two numbers on the left side of crankcase. Both are molded: close to the generator 82332 and second one, closer to the cluth - 40000 with "H" below.
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    8 23 32 would be the casting date, so late 32 or 33 Terraplane engine
    40000 would also signify a 32-32 Terraplane block.  
    Hope this helps.

"Ric"
  • ESSX28-1
    I've just spoken to Bruce Ardell. He checked his stock over the weekend but does not have the correct head for you. He only has 1928 heads.
    Sorry I can't help.
  • bob ward
    A little more dimensional info. The head measures 555mm x 170mm. 
    The 2 outer rows of head studs are 5.375 inches apart measured on centres, the middle row of head studs is centred between the 2 outer rows.
    Head thickness measured from the machined tops of the stud bosses is 2.135"
    The combustion chamber capacity, in order to calculate the compression ratio with this head, is around 110ml. 

My email is bobwardDOTlaidleyATgmailDOTcom
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor

This engine is not as used in the 30 to 32 Essex as we in the US recognize, but is the type used first in the 1932 Essex Terraplane and also Hudson in 33.

The Head on this engine appears to be an early one, note area immediately behind Water pump, very small raised area for water flow. The top ares of rest of head is very flat looking.  Likely a head with longer water passage way ( as demonstrated by a longer raised area on the top of cyl head ) could be better for coolant  flow.

Very likely a better choice is a later head, but it may be much better to remove head and make a tracing of the head, including combustion chambers and stud holes the head gasket. 
    Then mail it to be compared more easily to possible purchases.

an interesting engine: Looks like a 32 or 33 Terra[lane engine,  Intake manifold has a plate covering a possible site for a down draft Carburetor, which was used in 1932 ET, is not there. Below the  manifold appears to be a UP draft Carb, possibly a Detroit Lubricator ( like  27 & 28 Essex ) with some modification to fit.
    Distributor, fuel pump, water jackets all are indicative of the characteristics of the engines first produced for  the "32 Essex Terraplane engines

If Head is removed then bore and stroke  can be recorded. Then volumes of combustion chambers of the heads can be compared for a relative difference in compression ratios.

I would very much like to know the make an model of carb used as shown in pictures.

Hans

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Interesting, I have never seen a '32 Terraplane before.   That is definitely not a Detroit Lubricator (Stewart) carby as used on '24-'28 Essex.  It should have a Carter downdraft carburetor.   
    Geoff 
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor

The carb in the picture is very interesting. True it is not so similar to the Essex/Dodge carbs.

An aluminum body, with a brass float bowl cover. The cover and the large nut in the middle appears similar to the Detroit Lubricator (Stewart Carb ). That is the only similarity that I can see so far. I can not blow up the picture enough to read anything printed on it. 

Wiktor, can you supply more information on the printed name on the float bowl cover?

I assume that the linkage and spring on the side are for throttle control, this could provide a desirable option for carburation on an Essex.

Is that a return spring attached to the linkage and the screw at the bowl cover?

Are there any other numbers or printing on the carb?

I have been interested in carburators for Essex engines and have sought various alternatives for use.

It would be very interesting to research this carb and try to determine it's capabilities for this engine.

Thanks, Hans

• Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    Wiktor, your initial request is for a cylinder  head.

Can you take additional pictures of it?
    The combustion chamber side and the water pump end.
    Are there any casting numbers on it?
    Can you trace the combustion side so it could be compared to one's we have here?

The picture may help us to understand the size, shape and depth of the head combustion recess.
    It could be helpful to know the bore and stroke  of the engine.

We here in the us have a notion that many export car engines had lower compression ratios.
    ( This was true even for my 1960, 1963 and 68 Pontiac's.)

Hopefully the your information will aid us in helping you.
    Hans

• Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    Well with some help from Bill Kile, who could blow up the picture of the carb, we may be closer in identifying the Up Draft Carb in your picture.

Stromberg OE-1 apparently used on mid 20's Studebaker,Chandler and
    Franklins.  Also used as replacements on chevs.

Your manifold must have been modified to install the OE-1.
    You might want to look for the proper carb.

Hans

.imageimage

• Hello! Bob sends us the head and it's really amazing! We are very very VERY happy. Head just sailed. It's sensational and it fits perfectly. But the most amazing thing is that you can count on help from someone from the other side of the world and it's just because we all love old cars. Once again thank you very much Bob. You helped us to save this Essex

• Speaking of a carburetor i'll ask my father-in-law for accurate photos.
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    I  used a 1937 Hudson one barrel carb on my 1932 for a short time.
    The 1937 has idle mixture screw in the butterfly base.
    It ran fine.
    1932 ET carb has idle mixture half way up on the side of carb.
    Good  Hunting
    Hans
  • bob ward
    That's great that the head reached you OK, I was thinking yesterday that it should just about be there. The internet is a great boon to the old car movement.

Out of curiosity, can you measure the capacity of a combustion chamber in your broken head?
This discussion has been closed.