A little pricey.....

Comments

• Interesting....it says "Brand: Hudson" which it certainly isn't and, although it is apparently for the 212, it seems like they might mention that in the listing. Those engines are expensive enough to rebuild already without paying that kind of cash for a head that probably will have little effect on performance.

I want one anyway!

F

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

No idea what engine it is for, my eye isn't that calibrated.  IMO, a big waste of money if it is for a 212. Most likely will fit a 232, 262 or 308.  If is it for the later flathead engine, it is most likely for the later wide-block...

All speculation (on my part) - I have sent an inquiry to the vendor.  We'll see if they respond...

• Hudsonrules
    Hudsonrules Senior Contributor

Somebody is really dreaming! The seller has no information as to what the head fits. I will pass.

• Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor
    edited January 2016

Definitely not for the late pressure-lubed engines, which includes the Jet......note the wide area between 3 & 4. That's the wider space to accommodate the block web below the houses the #2 (center)  main bearing. That's a feature seen only in the three main-bearing engines like the 193, 175, 212 "Splashers".  Certainly not the 193 (there are almost none of those around) but there are lots of 212s.

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited January 2016

Definitely not for the late pressure-lubed engines, which includes the Jet......note the wide area between 3 & 4. That's the wider space to accommodate the block web below the houses the #2 (center)  main bearing. That's a feature seen only in the three main-bearing engines like the 193, 175, 212 "Splashers".  Certainly not the 193 (there are almost none of those around) but there are lots of 212s.

Have both a 175 & some 212's - Would not consider this as an option, at least not at that price (or even one-third of that price). 
    There's always someone will pay big dollars for a piece like this - to make their ride/engine a bit more unique. Guess, I'm just not 'that guy' - especially at $1,450.00 with a WHOPPING '14-day guarantee'... 
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

You're right (of course) - Per the seller - "212 cu 1936-1937. Not sure what others if you need measurements let me know."

If anyone needs more info, just click the link (above), and send a message to the seller, via Ebay tools. 

• I think that span of years is slightly wider than '36-'37.The "book" says that it fits '36 to '39 except the models 89 and 90 (the 175s in the 112s). That must have been enough to make it worth the development costs.

The price, although prohibitive to almost everyone, isn't a surprise to anyone who has been through the process of creating, developing, prototyping, tooling-up and producing a product such as this head. The limited sales "audience" is reflected in the price as well. It ain't like a stack o' hotcakes.

It's probably not something you need, it's just something a few might want. I commend them for giving it a shot.

Frank 

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Another product of the Empire folks in El Paso TX. Look close at pictures and a crack will be seen in the fun.
  • K,

I had suspected that there might be a connection to Empire. Although I doubt that those visible lines are actual cracks ( I saw them too). If it's those guys, I wouldn't go near anything they made as a matter of principle, even if it was good.

Frank

This discussion has been closed.