Wanted: flywheel ring gear

Hi all - I'm searching for a good ring gear for my '50 club coupe.

Comments

If you can't locate a new one and your existing one isn't too bad, you may heat/remove it and rotate it 60 degrees, and re-install it thus exposing relatively "fresh" gear teeth in the engagement area. You have likely noted that it is worn in a 120 degree pattern, at each of the three positions that the engine routinely comes to rest at shutdown......unless it's an eight. If so, the wear pattern is at 90 degree intervals so rotating it 45 degrees leaves few good teeth to work with.

Frank

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You might shoot an inquiry to these folks: http://www.northwesternautosupply.com/getParts.html
  • Thanks to both for the comments/recommendations. I'll give northwestern a shot. Frank - I had ordered some parts from Wildrick and during our conversation they recommended rotating the gear as well. I had planned to do that as a last resort in order to get her running but, if possible, I'd rather just replace it while I'm in there. Thanks!
  • No luck at Northwestern.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited February 2016
    1.  Have you tried Doug Wildrick?

2. http://www.vapinc.com/  lists a '34 to '40 ring gear, NOS.  Possibly this earlier gear would also fit the postwar Hudsons.  You could check the interchangeability with the interchange manual at the H-E-T on-line library.

3.  This is a really, really expensive way to go (converts to $132US, plus shipping from Down Under), but if you're desperate.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RING-GEAR-134TRG-273-suit-HUDSON-1941-1956-344-06od-313-81id-/171120386131
  • thanks Jon - I was going to call Doug today and see if he had any avaiable. I think I saw that ebay ad recently and yes...it would be a last resort.
  • I bought one from vapinc and they said I got the last one......don't know if that was true. but I can't imagine they'd say so if it wasn't.

If you can find new, I agree that once you're in there, replace it.

F

• barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Im looking for a 1929 Hudson ring gear. If I cant find one I may have to undercut turn one off , off an old flywheel in the lathe. I dont have a oxy acetylene or LPG gas set. If I did the bottle rental and gas used is expensive. Here in Australia, Perfect Pitch and also Repco made replacement ring gears. 
    Up to 1929 #43 with 118 teeth, 1934 to 1936 #126 with 107 teeth Super Six and Essex 1930 to 1932,  1930 to 1933 Hudson great 8 & 1930 to 1932 Essex Challenger #26 - there is a NOS one for sale here,1934 to 1940 #130 with 134 teeth 6 & 8 cyl, 1941 to 1956  #273. Cars with auto transmissions had different ring gears. So dont throw flywheels away and good luck at swap meets. Two places to try
    alsuehring@gmail.com  in the USA and  ringgearsrus in New Zealand. Good luck Barry
  • Thanks to all for the information and suggestions.  It turns out that vapinc and northwestern didn't have one but Doug happened to have one ready-to-go. The only slight issue was that it was attached to a newly reconditioned 10" flywheel.  So, I bought the flywheel assembly.  I had just received the 10" clutch and pressure plate from them this week, so the flywheel will now complete the package.  It's more than I wanted to spend but it's good piece of mind.  Since I'm currently overhauling the 3 spd transmission, this is the opportune time to replace it. 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    If you have (or ever intend to switch over to) an overdrive transmission, the 10" clutch is the way to go.  So, in the end, it may have been a very good investment.
  • Yes very true, I figured the 'upgrade' wouldn't hurt....plus I would have had to pay all of the shipping to send the 10" clutch and plate back to change for a 9" setup...then pay that shipping cost. I'm not looking forward to paying all of the shipping to send the cores back so I was trying to avoid paying shipping 4x on these heavy parts. So far I'm in for roughly $75 shipping with another $75 to return the cores. Thank goodness gas is so cheap or it could have been more.  : )
This discussion has been closed.