Off to Body&Paint

2»

Comments

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Something to be very proud of!
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Thanks for the update Frank, I have been wondering how the tuneup was progressing.

John 
  • Just wondering....what goes between the quarter panel and the body?
    Caulk, seam sealer??
  • Air,

That was a point of some discussion during the job. There were basically two choices: Use a paintable caulk (There are products specifically for automotive work) or use a mastic strip, preferably something not too strongly adhesive. Since the idea was to paint the panels individually to get good coverage, the latter was the way I went. The factory did a similar thing. It needs to be something that can be dis-assembled in the future.......someone else's future.

Frank

• A few more recent photos:

Frank

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    OMG I wish mine looked like that!
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Looking good Buddy!!
    JJ Cool
  • Thanks guys! A long way to go, but I'm pluggin' away at it. I've been gathering up stuff for the re-assembly process and I'm almost down to looking for a nice set of fuzzy dice for the mirror. Buying stuff is the easy part.

Frank

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Frank, im always interested to find out -
    What did you use for primer and sealer? You mention etching primer, did you spray blocking primer on top of that then block out the parts before sealing and painting?
    Single stage or basecoat? Brand?  What is the color?  Looks good but as you mentioned, looks like different colores in different light. 
    Looking good!
  • K,

Gosh.....I hope I haven't given the impression that I've done this single handedly! The fact is, I've had little hand in the actual work, especially in the paint department. That process is out of my area of expertise (do I have one?) so I leave it to the pros. I admit to not even knowing what brand of products they use, but they aren't new at it and, I'm sure, use state-of-the-art finishing products. I'll find out.

It's a base-coat/clear-coat job and there are many choices on the latter. We threw a little extra $ at it to get a higher end clear-coat. I'm trusting the shop to know what they're doing......risky, I know, but they're local guys with a good reputation, a modern facility and the place is always full of work. I know a few people who have used them for their projects and have been happy. Good signs.

Frank

• Looks like some great progress, color looks awesome.
This discussion has been closed.