Gas Line & Fuel Pump Kit Sources?

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
I have found a kink in my original copper gas line from the fuel pump to the carburetor and need a replacement source. Ideally I'd like to keep the original look of copper and the brass fittings but open to other options if needed. In my searches the other day, I'd run across an awful lot of doomsday beliefs on using copper as a gas line so I'd like not to debate it here but instead find a good automotive source for the gas line, either pre-made or not. I am also looking at possibly adding a heat shield & the 4 manifold to carb gaskets with the shield as is done in step downs (I believe) to help keep from vapor locking and thus would love to know if a later model gas line would also work.

Comments

• BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Oh yeah, on the fuel pump, I'm looking for kit sources.
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    No debate:  the copper line isn't factory original.  All were steel.  This is a hobby.  Buy a piece of line and learn to bend and flare at the length you need. 

• Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor

Copper is also a great conductor of heat, aggravating the common "vapor-lock" issue. I use steel and, at the risk of starting a firestorm of nay-saying, I use 1/4 lines from pump to carb to reduce surface area (and thus reduce "heat soak") and increase fuel velocity through that segment, reducing the time it has to absorb heat. Unless you are going racing, you'll never experience fuel starvation due to the smaller line size. Insulating lines and providing heat shielding around pumps and lines are good ideas as well.

Frank

• Re fuel pump kits, this guy sells the kits or can do the rebuilding.

http://www.classicpreservation.com/fuelpumprebuilding.html

This discussion has been closed.