WTB 49 Right Window screen NZ

hey ya

Directed to the New Zealand guys with luck but know i may need look further afield.

Wanting to buy  right hand sides front window screen to suit a 1949 Hudson Super.

Mine has a few large chips that i doubt will pass NZ road worthiness check/warrant of fitness.

Thanks
Alex

Comments

• ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Alex, I thought I had one but find it is cracked even though it is stored in a purpose built box. You may have to look at getting from the states as they are like hens teeth here. Good luck, Alistair
  • Ye was thinking that. 

I have space on a shipping crate and the boat leaves in about a month. Still its one of those items that i hate the idea of shipping around the world.

Total shit about the window man >< mutter a few choice words? 
    thanks for looking all the same.

Alex
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    As you may know, there are several supplier who (as I understand it) offer these "brand new".  So if you are forced to get one from the States, consider buying a new one as opposed to a used one, because you will already be paying a lot in shipping.  (You might ask around in the N.Z. Hudson club, to find if anyone else needs Hudson parts from the U.S. -- then you could share shipping.)
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Any reputable auto glass merchant (eg Smith & Smith) should be able to cut & finish one using your old window as a pattern. It will need to be from a suitable glass to meet the regs & may need to carry an etched cert mark. If you live near a main city you could also try a firm who supply 'tempered' glass.
    I had them done for my 28 Essex Coupe which got a WOF with no trouble due to glass.

Are you a member of the NZ HET Club? Lots of useful info available there.
    Dave Young
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Oh!  I didn't realize that local glass shops were able to curve windscreen glass.

• Jon B said:
    Oh!  I didn't realize that local glass shops were able to curve windscreen glass.

lol im form New Zealand and didnt know they could either!
    always thought they just did flat glass cutting and imported the curved stuff or sent away for it.

Thanks guys

• ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    My bad!! Thought it was flat glass.

Dave

• So looking at getting the glass and add it in my shipping crate.

any of you brought from:
    or

or have any other recomendations for the front glass?
    remember its getting sent half way around the world so after people who really pack well.

Alex
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Both are Great places to deal with.
  • emailed 21st century 3 times - no answer. there service always this bad?

Waiting on Bobs classic auto to confirm a few things.

any one have any other good glass shops?

Alex
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    21st Century is run by dyed-in-the-wood Hudson enthusiasts and would be good to deal with; I'm not sure why they're not "answering the phone" so to speak.  Only reason I can think of, is that it's vacation time in the U.S. and many people are away on their summer vacation (or "holiday" as you would put it!).

Bob's Auto Glass also has a good reputation (I believe!), although they make glass for all automotive marques.

If you google "antique auto glass" you will probably find several companies online.  Here are some NZ companies I found through a random Google search.  I have no idea if they do antique car stuff:

http://www.autoglas-stieger.co.nz/
    http://www.customautoglass.co.nz/  in Auckland
    http://www.autoglasscanterbury.co.nz/services.html

By the way, have you looked into repairing the glass?  Some of these places claim to be able to repair cracks, chips etc. in auto glass and if these repairs on modern cars will "pass muster" with the government inspectors, you would think they'd work for older cars as well.  Glass is glass.
  • If you plan on getting the car certed, you will need the proper glass with a number etched into it. I'd hate to see you go to the expense of importing glass, only to be told you can't use it.
This discussion has been closed.