31 super six

is anyone familiar with oil pan on a 31 essex super six. i just got the car running pretty good after sitting for 50 years in a barn. i was told that the oil pan has compartments. i was going to drop the pan to clean out any sludge etc. after putting oil pan back on i was told there is a small hole with a hose that needs oil to fill one compartment? then the rest goes in the main filler on side of block. is anyone familiar with this?

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    If you are putting  the pan back on  dry then  you definitely need to fill the troughs. You can pour a quart of oil in the breather on the left front after lifting the pipe out, or you can remove the side tappet covers and pour oil down through the holes in the chamber to fill the troughs.  Best though to fill the troughs before you replace the sump.  
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Excellent idea, dropping the pan and cleaning the sludge out.  The troughs (or "dipper trays") are separate from the oil pan and sit above it (same bolts hold the tray, as hold the pan).  Each connecting rod has a dipper on the lower end which rides through the dipper trough just below it,  scooping oil up and pulling it into the rod bearing (and splashing it around the engine to lubricate everything else) so you must have oil in those troughs or you'll burn out a bearing.  There is (I think) a pickup at the bottom of the pan, which sends oil into a small diameter pipe that goes up to the flange around the pan  which has the bolt holes for mounting the pan / tray to the engine block.  This hole in the flange, mates with a hole in the underside of the block.  In my car, that hole in the underside of the block is slightly relieved, and a neoprene O ring fits up into it, which provides a good seal between flange and block.  When the oil gets to the block it goes into the dipper tray and all six (or eight) dipper troughs are filled.

(Or, maybe you knew that!)
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Jon, you are referring  to the later motors, from  '34 onwards.   The '31 Essex has a pipe fitting in  the side of the  block which connects to the oil pump, which is mounted on the accessory housing.  
  • Ok thanks for your help I haven't dropped the pan but plan on doing so this week. I'm not sure what it looks like so once I do so I will post bAck with any questions. If the breather pipe located at the back of the engine block? 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    No, the breather pipe is on the left front of the crankcase.
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    You might find it helpful when reinstalling the "trough and oil pan assembly" to have four bolts, each about 5 inches long.  They can hold the "assembly" just below the block.  I usually place them on each the side near the ends.  You can put oil in the troughs and make sure you have the oil pick up tube properly positioned thru them.  Then carefully slide the assembly up to the block and begin installing the bolts to hold it up.   The long bolts can be removed and replaced.  Then Oil can be installed into the oil pan.  I hope this is helpful.
  • Thank you everyone ill
    let you know how i make out