1935 Railton

2»

Comments

• Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

Wow, Am I ever impressed. 
    Good work Perry.

My 36 English build Hudson Stratton Sport Salon was sure a lot different in the construction.  The 35 Railton had a lot more wood support.  I would say the Railton is a lot more complicated.  And, I understand every car was different and every coachbuilder was different. Did not experience rust in the steel where you have.  Some of the other work brings back a lot of memories.....  Just an afterthought, for information on the function and particulars of the sun roof, you might have Richard work with folks from the Railton club.  Not enough cars stateside to get a good review.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    I have said this before Perry, there are those who do well in metal and those who do great, you are one of those crafts persons who got a double dose of GREAT.  Thanks for sharing the pictures of your craft!

• Richard E.
    Richard E. Senior Contributor
    This is Richard Esparza, owner of the '35 Railton Special Saloon by Carbodies.  Yes, Perry Spring is a metal magician, he understands metal.  He has also done what I consider forensic auto archaeology, he has figured out that there needs to be a part that maybe there is fragmentary evidence of, then he creates the part and explains to me how it should work.  This project is way more ambitious than I had planned but we are bringing the car back to life.  I will post pictures of the "re-timbering" work being done by my son-in-law, Rick Perez.  He is a talented furniture builder with a good woodshop.  This is his first project in automotive woodwork project.  I'm pleased that other Hudson Club members can watch the project progress.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    FWIW there is a 1998 book on Carbodies by Bill Munro, there are only 3 or 4 pages on Railton.
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    Love your work, you are a real master. This is one tricky project!
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    Thanks for the kind words gentlemen.  I'm hoping Mr. Esparza will add some pictures of the wood work, etc..
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Fabulous work Bent Metal. Great to see there are still craftsmen in this field!
    Mike Taylor may be able to help with the roof. His restored Railton has a working sun roof. Contact him via the New Zealand HET Clib website..
    David Young