WTB: '52-'53 Hudson Hornet Sedan, Hydramatic, Twin-H!

hi - i'm a new HET club member, but I am not new to collector cars! i have a small collection of vintage german cars, which get driven many thousands of miles on tours, trips, and at the track - for several years, i have been very interested in hudson hornets (and their racing history, engineering, etc.) - for a few years, i have been looking for a '52-'53 hornet sedan, hydramatic, twin-h, which i also intend to drive many miles! - i'm in the seattle area - any leads would be most appreciated! thanks for looking, b

Comments

• railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser

Welcome aboard!  Have you also joined the local Hudson club for your area?  Seems the Northwest HET chapter would be best suited for your geographic location.  I'm sure those members will know of any Hudsons for sale you're interested in purchasing.   Good luck in your search.

Dan

• booneda
    booneda Member
    We have a '53 Hornet advertised on this site asking $20k.  Car is near Orlando, FL.  Give us a call at 407-654-7401 if you are still interested.
  • still looking!!! thanks
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Hudson, if I may call you Hudson: in the White Triangle News (Bi-monthly publication of the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club) there are several stepdown Hudson's listed for sale and range from $8,000 to high.  The local Hudson group up your way has some very dedicated folks who have more than one in their stash they may be willing to part with.  This is the best way to find one, local, and from a Hud Nut.  By the way, if you show up to a Hudson Chapter meeting and you do not have a Hudson the local members work overtime to help you find one.  Ed Langergren (360 482 3853) in Elma, Wa. is the Chapter President and would most likely have a few prospects for you.  Your problem is not finding one but finding the right one for you.  I have built a few, and prefer the sedans for the value of racing or "clone" cars.  You might want to expand your years to 1951 to 1954.  Key to the racing theme is use of a "Beyond 7X" engine with the Twin H power.  "Heck" the way we Hudson folks are, any stepdown would work fine.  Not that it matters, but 80 percent of the actual racing cars were coupes.  Do not be in a hurry, there are still a lot of cars out there...  Until you get your car you might drop over to our Hudson Modified face book page--there are several Hudson's featured there including a very nice sedan that is currently being raced as our cover car.... 
  • thanks very much your response - i agree with your analysis and i will give ed a call/email - i am a HET member and I receive the magazine - i have not yet seen a 52-53 hornet sedan, twin-H, hydramatic advertised - those are the only years and model that i am really interested in

- the 4 hornets i have seen in person have been absolutely un-loved - i understand the demographics of these sellers, i.e., age, use, etc., but i have been unpleasantly surprised, to say the least (sorry to sound harsh)

- i intend to use this hornet on long trips and on long tours - i have several 100k miles of doing this with old air-cooled porsche's and an old mercedes - the porsche's are also all used on the track - all are well maintained with no stories or excuses - i just completed a 3500 mile run to socal and back with 2 track days in between - i would like to do the same, sans track days, with a hornet!

- i am also very interested in "beyond-7X" applications - the 7X program was analogous to Porsche's factory "sports purpose manual," which afforded 1968-1973 911/914 owners to get factory racing, rally, etc parts for their cars -  i'm a member of a club called "r gruppe" in which folks run modified early porsche's according to this ethos - for 356's, there are "outlaw" cars, which are similar hot rods, and i have lots of experience with too

- thanks again - please keep the leads coming!
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Hudson, that is why I build...  That way I get new, nice and the power I want....
  • I was in the same boat being from western wa. I ended up traveling all the way to Oxnard ca to get my 54 Hornet I just bought. 

What i I was finding up here was just garbage u fortunately. 
  • Hudson_in_Seattle
    edited June 2018
    Finally, after about 2 years of casual and 1 year of serious looking, i found my '53 hornet sedan - sold new by patton brothers motor sales of cortez, colorado - restored in 1995 by TX owner- cover car for classic auto restorer 11/95 - since 2003, driven to shows only each year by last owner in OR - now  condition 2+ - i don't like cars that sit, but everything is there and i am optimistic it will be sorted soon - nice to have the history - thanks for all of the help - now the fun begins!

• thanks for this information - i was going to have the suspension looked at by my trusted suspension shop - i will show them this post, have them investigate, and make proper repairs - any other info would be most appreciated - thanks again