Engine & Exhaust Manifold Silver Paint???

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
I had to pull my Exhaust & Intake manifolds to find a leak & after sandblasting them I’ll need to prime & paint.  I will do the rest of the engine shortly after, but what silver paint should I use or even could I use on the block, intake & exhaust manifolds that would not bake off or discolor?

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    There is good Exhaust manifold paint on the Market in colors. VHT is probably the best but Dupli color & Plasti Kote make it too. Need at least 1500 degrees...... Don't buy High Temp Paint designed for Patio Grill's though...
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    Ceramic coating is probably the best for exhaust manifolds.  Available in multiple colors but will need to find a shop in your area that specializes in this type of work
  • BigSky
    I ended up buying some paint from Bill Hirsch on line.  It’s definitely not cheap but there seems to be very good reviews on it.  
  • Good choice after sand blasting. apply immediately; air can even rust a recently blasted part.
  • BigSky
    Indeed!  After I had blasted the exhaust manifold within 6 hours I saw rusting.  It was in early spring & rainy out, but it definitely surprised me.  

Question:  since I need to surface the exhaust manifold as it’s got a slight warp, I’m thinking I need to do this before painting.  Then after painting should I give it another once over of the gasket mating surface just to be sure it’s good & clean?

• BigSky
    Hey, I wanted to give an update as to the painting of my engine.  I ended up getting a can of spray paint of the same product pictured before & man does it look great!  It is so much more in person than I can begin to show in a photo.  If your looking for paint for your Hudson give it a try, you’ll be glad you did!

Big thanks go out to Jeff Hirsch Paints for all their help and for being such a great company to have really gone the extra mile for me.  

Again, thank you Jeff!