54 Hudson ignition

bryon
bryon Member
Having a problem with pertronix ignition burning out, 2nd or 3rd so far.
I think I found the problem though. There seems to be 6v power to the dist. when the key/ ignition is off and the key is out.
Does this mean my ignition is bad? Help Please, Thanks

Comments

•  There should not be power at the distributor when the key is off.  Are there any other wires attached to the coil?  It maybe being fed from something that is live even when the key is off.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Not sure how your 54 is wired but I had electronic in my 39. I went back to points because my ignition burnt out as did my coil. It was the sloid core plug wires I am using from YNZ that was the cause. Anyway in my car the 2 wires coming out of the distributor one went to ground on coil the other to ground on frame.  The hot wire from my ignition went to neg side on coil. (My car is +grnd) Best of luck with your system but if all else fails go back to points as I did.
  • bryon
    bryon Member
    There is only 2 wires on the coil 1 from posi side of battery to posi side of coil and 1 from neg side of coil to pertronix ignitor. + grnd
    The only power is coming off the ignition wire that should not have power when the key is off. Correct?
  • I was wrong there is no power at dist when ignition is off. But I still don’t have a solution as to why these pertronix ignitions are going bad. It’s not easy to go back to points when you’re in the middle of no where.
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser
    Solid core plug wires would be my guess. They will kill the unit in a very short time. So now when I do pertronix I always use their coil and plug wires. Since I have started this I have had no failures and it all runs well. 6 or 12 volt, I have done both.

Jay