1947 wiper towers disassembly

40indianssgmailcom
40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
in order to rechrome the wiper towers on my pu I need to remove the shaft from the tower housing.  I have removed the splined hub from the end of the shaft but am having no luck pulling the shaft from the tower.  The chains are loose from the shaft so is there a trick to pulling the shaft loose from the inside chain hub.  It is soaking in aerokroil now, then maybe some gentle prying or tapping to loosen the grip of the chain hub on the shaft?  Any suggestions or experience is welcome

Comments

• These towers show up on eBay NOS, trico.  Why bother takeing them apart and rechroming.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    These were manufactured by trico?  They appear very similar to ford towers of the same era.  I will start looking on eBay.  Thanks for the heads up
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    What is the beginning year for these towers, 1939 or 1940 to 1947 to interchange and are cars and trucks the same?
  • Cars and trucks are the same. Only difference I’ve noticed is some early arms have a smaller hole at the motor end, later (47) have a larger hole at the motor.
  • Trucks were not chrome plated, but they were the same part.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    I have heard that previously but my 47 pu towers are chrome plated so Hudson may have been using whatever was available in the last year of this body style before the stepdowns